2008 Peugeot 307 crankshaft whine

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alay1
My Cars: 2008 Peugeot 307 sw 2.0l HDI
Citroen 10CV (big 12)
Citroen 2CV

2008 Peugeot 307 crankshaft whine

Post by alay1 »

Hi, engine is a 2.0l HDi, DW10 BTED4 / RHR model. 140k.
The engine has a whine coming from the crankshaft pulley area, you can hear it in this vid (engine is at idle):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hFR2WrQiWR1GTJEc7

I've only recently purchased the vehicle and it is possible the whine was there when I got it but with the wheel liner and undertray in place I didn't notice it. Last week I changed the cambelt / waterpump and when I started the engine for a test and listened to it, the whine was noticeable. It's not the aux belt or any accessories, I have tested with the belt off and the whine is still there. Car drives fine otherwise and it's almost like an old turbo whine that would get slightly higher pitched and louder as the turbo spins up. The whine changes with revs so it is definitely engine related. I pulled the crankshaft pulley off and had a look at everything, couldn't see anything rubbing on the lower timing cover, crankshaft sensor, ring or sprocket. So this leaves the oil seal or a big end and I just don't know what would cause either of these to whine? Leak or knock, yes but whine.....

Has anyone else come across this? What else might it be that is sitting in that area in the sump? Changing the oil seal isn't that big a job but I don't want to just start changing parts to try and fix it.
fwiw the car has a solid service history, serviced at every recommended interval by a peugeot garage.

Tia for any help.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: 2008 Peugeot 307 crankshaft whine

Post by Peter.N. »

I would suspect that the cam belt has been changed and over tensioned, back the tensioner off a bit, you should be able to twist it about 90 degrees on its longest stretch - depending on how strong you are.

Peter
alay1
Citroen 10CV (big 12)
Citroen 2CV

Post by alay1 »

Yes, I changed the cam belt. Unless you screw it up badly you can't over tighten it, the tensioner has a spring loaded guide, turn it until the marks line up, tighten the bolt. 2 complete revolutions of the crank then check the marks are still aligned. I even went further by putting the crank pulley back on and running the engine and then rechecking the tensioner alignment before I put the upper and lower cam belt covers back on.
And as I mentioned before, I believe the whine was already there before I changed the cam belt (which had 140k on it and was factory original).
alay1
Citroen 10CV (big 12)
Citroen 2CV

Post by alay1 »

Further to this, I am wondering if the tensioner may be faulty (Continental kit) in some way. I pulled the covers off and found the tensioner arrow had moved way off the mark. Oddly enough the cam belt seemed ok for tension, a 1/4 turn on the longest run and around 5 - 6mm deflection (it still whines on the crankshaft sprocket like a supercharger). I reset the tensioner to the correct mark, rotated the engine, checked, all good. Started the engine and ran it for 10 seconds and then stopped. The tensioner arrow had moved off the mark by about 5mm, hmm. I repeat this adjustment process 3 more times, the arrow still moves off the mark. On the 4th try (getting frustrated by this time) I checked the arrow whilst the engine is running, it's dead center of the marks. Turn the engine off and it moves off the mark by about 5mm. Here is the installation doc and the arrow movement is from position 2 towards position 1 (see diag bottom of page 3) https://app.continental-engineparts.com ... 1091K1.pdf
So this raises a couple of questions :
- Is the tensioner faulty because the arrow moves? Every time I adjust the tension the movement is small so I am wondering if the arrow movement is just slack in the unit.
- If I assume the tensioner is ok, which reading is the one to use? Arrow dead center when engine going / arrow off when engine is off or arrow off when engine going / arrow dead center when engine is off.

fwiw I have found lots of discussions about new cambelts that whine, especially Continental belts. Even after the latest adjustments it still whines so I am ok with that now and will just keep an eye on it.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds odd that, the only thing I can suggest is that you slacken the belt a little more and try it. At least it would prove whether it is the belt on not.

Peter
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

With the whine in progress, squirt a little very slightly soapy water (not WD40!) at the belt, to see whether it changes the sound.
Chris
David_CH
My Cars: 307 RESTYLING ESTATE - LEISURE 2.0 i 16v 143 (EW10A) Manual gearbox 5

Post by David_CH »

Hi Peter, did you replaced the timing belt roller too ? i had a similar whine before i've changed the timing belt on my car and it was not the tensioner, but the roller bearing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Never had that David, I didn't used to change the tensioners years ago but I've got to the age when I don't want to have it all out again so I change the tensioner and the water pump.

Peter