Air in 1.5dci engine!

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevepro
My Cars: Scenic MK2 1.5dci

Air in 1.5dci engine!

Post by stevepro »

Hi guys, my name's Steve and I try and do as much myself as possible as 1. I love a bit of mechanical engineering and 2. I have a neuro disability which stops me working properly so money is tight lol

I've recently changed the injectors as there was an issue with 2 of them. So changed and coded to the ECU = check.

A day later the car started to display a very loud diesel knock on acceleration and I noticed a HUGE amount of air in the LP pipe into the HP pump and almost like a foamy diesel coming back in the return pipe!

I've just changed the both LP pipes and the problem persists. So do we think it's the filter sucking in access air? There are no bubbles in the line into the filter and none display when I squeeze the primer bulb.

I did change the filter around a year and a half ago? But it's not a genuine Renault part so maybe where I've gone wrong.

I'll fully appreciate any help and advice you guys can give me. Thank you in advance and thanks for letting me be part of the community :)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Air in 1.5dci engine!

Post by Peter.N. »

It sounds as though the filter itself is leaking. I don't know this particular engine but I would change the filter and the 'O' rings that come with it and check the cover for leaks. Some grease on the mating surfaces might help.

I wouldn't worry about not using a genuine part as long as its a known brand.

Peter
stevepro

Post by stevepro »

Thank you for your response Peter, I appreciate your help and advice. I'll order a part and let you know my findings!

Steve :-)
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Just temporarily, by-pass the filter, and see whether that gets rid of the problem.
Don't leave it like that, though!
You might need some other means of priming the pump, though. Maybe you already have a priming bulb fitted.
Chris
stevepro

Post by stevepro »

Thank you Chris. Since I've noticed it, I've pretty much left the car on stilts and not fired her up.

New filter ordered 👌
stevepro

Post by stevepro »

Still awaiting the filter to be delivered so I can fit it. Sorry guys, didn't want you to think I was being rude 😁
stevepro

Post by stevepro »

Hmmmm ok so changed the filter and the problem still persists.

At first it started running fine, no air in the line. But after being rev'd up a bit it started and then we got the chugging and knocking again at high rev.

The knocking is loud and I can't help but feel it could be something to do with the pistons as I'm sure it's actually burning oil too.

I've decided that cause I've had nothing but issues with the car since owning, to either get rid as scrap or to chuck a new engine in (which is probably the cheaper option after seeing engines on eBay for around £200).

Absolutely gutted it wasn't a quick easy fix. I do however fully appreciate everyone's help and advice. It's great that there are people who are willing to help others :-)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Could possibly be a blockage in the pick up pipe/filter in the tank. If you have access to a compressor try blowing air back down the feed pipe to the tank, if it is obstructed that should temporarily relieve it.

Peter