Favourite songs that got spoilt

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Favourite songs that got spoilt

Post by mickthemaverick »

I am starting this thread as a complementary music thread to The P.E. Jukebox. This is for songs which you once loved and now, as a result of an event in your life, you find they make you sad. This means that, if anyone joins in, it will involve telling a story, long or short, to explain why the song has changed your emotions.

So to start it off I can tell you as a young boy I used to watch The Avengers with Patrick McNee and Diana Rigg, and I fell in love with Emma Peel's Lotus Elan and subsequently with Diana Rigg :oops: I later bought Ian Fleming's book 'Live and Let Die' and became an ardent Bond fan. I was also a fan of trumpet music and trumpeters and so I was very taken with the song I am posting here. Sadly when I hear it now I can only think of the scene from 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' where Diana Rigg (albeit Emma Peel) dies. It is particularly appropriate to our present situation:

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Favourite songs that got spoilt

Post by CitroJim »

I've really been racking my brains over this one and failed to think of any at all. All my favourite songs in my life all recall happy events... One song in particular reminds me of my long-departed sister and should be spoilt by her no longer being with us but it's just the opposite. The song is Penny Lane by the Beatles... I always smile with good memories of her when I hear it despite the tragedy of her being taken in the prime of her life...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Am I allowed to say that any song sung by Rod Stewart is spoilt?

I was particularly annoyed that Handbags and Gladrags has become associated with him. I've been lucky enough to hear it sung live by both Chris Farlowe (who had the original hit) and Mike D'Abo (who wrote it).
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Paul-R wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 10:55 Am I allowed to say that any song sung by Rod Stewart is spoilt?

I was particularly annoyed that Handbags and Gladrags has become associated with him. I've been lucky enough to hear it sung live by both Chris Farlowe (who had the original hit) and Mike D'Abo (who wrote it).
You certainly are Paul, although I don't agree about any song but he certainly has wrecked a fair few in his time :-D
However I like some of his stuff and will happily have a few tracks in my collection! I'm guessing you are not a fan of the gravelly voice? :?:
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Not the voice per se - after all Chris Farlowe I like. It's his arrogant manner that grates. I'm sure he's not as bad nowadays but mud sticks.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Paul-R wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 10:55 Am I allowed to say that any song sung by Rod Stewart is spoilt?

The Steteophonics did a fantastic cover of it in my humble 👍

Never really liked the Rod Stewart version. Too dark and goodness knows, the song is dark enough anyway!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Being an old bugger I prefer the original ones. But, having said that, the Stereophonics' version isn't bad.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I agree that the original song/artist is normally the best, but sometimes when a different artist releases a cover of a song they can do it justice. Simon and Garfunkel's song "Sound of Silence" was brilliantly covered by 'Disturbed'.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!