DS 5 battery performance - solar charging?

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Kamal Khan Dam
My Cars: Own - DS 5

DS 5 battery performance - solar charging?

Post by Kamal Khan Dam »

I've had a DS 5 since last November. It's a -16 plate, and I replaced the battery before Christmas. Battery performance after a short period of not being driven seems low, even accounting for low winter temperatures: does the DS 5 consume much electrical power at a trickle when parked and locked?

In a usual week, the car might not move at all as I don't drive to work, then drive a few hundred miles eg up to Scotland and back to England over a weekend every few weeks.

After a long drive, Eco mode stop start works as expected, but after 4 or 5 days of sitting, it won't activate during a journey of 5-10 miles (ie enough that the engine is full warm as indicated on dash, and when I'd expect it to kick in from performance experienced immediately following a 9-10 hr drive). Car media system will also only stay on for a short period without starting the engine, reinforcing my belief that eco mode isn't activating due to measured battery condition. All is restored after a drive of several hours.

If this is normal for a DS 5, does the design of the electrical system allow for trickle charging of the battery from a photovoltaic panel connected to cigarette lighter when the car is locked? I have one I used to use with an MGB, but haven't yet tried with DS 5.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: DS 5 battery performance - solar charging?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Don't bother with those chargers.

The DS5 has like most modern PSA cars an energy management strategy - in this case a Battery Charge Status Unit, that monitors the battery condition, temperature etc., and uses this to determine energy saving features. Depending on your fitted options, the vehicle has electrical systems that are active, monitoring systems such as TPMS - taking readings every so often and again the battery readings, then there are the locking systems that are waiting for an unlock signal from the remote locking fob. Then there is the alarm and volumetric protection system that is active.

All these take a toll on the battery, and if the vehicle is standing for a week or so, it will decrease the battery condition.

As for those chargers, the BSI has a mechanism for disabling equipment and accessories as part of the energy saving strategy, so will cut off operation of the accessories 12V socket after a while but certainly after 30 minutes, so that may interfere. Generally I would advise against connecting any accessories that can supply a charge through the vehicle's electrical systems as these can have unforeseen problems that may cause damage.

If you want to fit a trickle charging unit, it would probably be better to fit one directly to the battery and not through the vehicle's operational wiring.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Kamal Khan Dam

Post by Kamal Khan Dam »

Thanks Marc.

I'm aware of the higher current drain likely, but surprised it appears to act so quickly (winter temp acknowledged). My last car was an -09 Passat, which would need to sit for a much longer period before the stop/start was isolated pending restoration of battery charge, but certainly had fewer electrical features to supply. Also suspected the 12v socket would be isolated.

The access to the battery on this car to use any sort of trickle charger is pretty awkward.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Can recommend the CTEK intelligent chargers, if you are able to get a mains supply near the vehicle.
The CTEK MXS3.8 is decently priced.
Just connect direct to battery terminals. Can be left hooked up and operating indefinitely.
Have had ours in use for 5 years now, on the same Yuasa YBX3000 battery.
Chris
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Kamal Khan Dam wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 17:54 Thanks Marc.

I'm aware of the higher current drain likely, but surprised it appears to act so quickly (winter temp acknowledged). My last car was an -09 Passat, which would need to sit for a much longer period before the stop/start was isolated pending restoration of battery charge, but certainly had fewer electrical features to supply. Also suspected the 12v socket would be isolated.

The access to the battery on this car to use any sort of trickle charger is pretty awkward.
i forgot to mention that there are very specific conditions required for the Stop Start to operate. Capacitor charge, battery star and condition, how may times the vehicle SS has operated over so many miles, etc etc. All these factors will decide on when and how long it operates for.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Kamal Khan Dam

Post by Kamal Khan Dam »

Thanks both.