Is it possible to change a Citroën Relay wheel hub without replacing the bearings?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

farmer333
New User
My Cars: Citroen Relay

Is it possible to change a Citroën Relay wheel hub without replacing the bearings?

Post by farmer333 »

Apologies for ignorance here...

One of the wheel nuts on my 2005 2.0 HDi Relay sheared off recently. The pads and discs were getting to the end of their life anyway so decided I would replace the whole front set while I was there. Initially I was hoping to remove the sheared off bolts with a screw extractor, but I think during drilling the guide hole it has work hardened, and it is stuck solid.

Now I realise I will also need a new wheel hub, but what I am unsure off is, as the wheel bearing is fine, is it possible to replace the wheel hub without also replacing the bearing, ie. keep the same bearing? If so, how best to go about it?

If it is not possible then I'll just go ahead and order a new bearing, I am just running short of time, and already have new pads, discs, and a hub ready to go...

Thanks in advance.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Is it possible to change a Citroën Relay wheel hub without replacing the bearings?

Post by RichardW »

Welcome!

The bearing appears to be pressed in from the outside, but I would expect that when you press the hub out it will pull the outer race off the bearing and ruin it, so I'm pretty sure you will need a new one.
Richard W
citroenguy
(Donor 2021)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: Hobby car + daily: 1996 Xantia 1.9TD SX 84k miles

Past:
Citroën C5 I 2.0i 16V SX Saloon-04
Citroën BX16RS -88 stolen and burned :(
Citroën BX 19GTi -89
Citroën C5 II 2.0i 16v -05
Citroën ZX 1.8i 16V Break -96
2x Rover 620 Sterling
Rover 620Ti
Volvo 850
Various C5 and Xantia bought and sold

Re: Is it possible to change a Citroën Relay wheel hub without replacing the bearings?

Post by citroenguy »

You could also buy a used complete spindle and just slap that on.
I have various repair handbooks and wiring diagrams for C5 mk1, Xantia, XM, Berlingo and C3 mk1.
I have Lexia/Diagbox (Sweden) and Servicebox/sedre