Fault electronic in Xantia? Please help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

liakos

Fault electronic in Xantia? Please help

Post by liakos »

Good afternoon from Greece
I have a xantia sx 1.6 1995. The problem i have to solve is: Sometimes, when i start the engine and press the brake, the radio, the electric windows and the pointers, go off and the light of the battery switches on.!! immediately i restart the engine, and the proble is solved for a day or two..
Forgot to mention that when the problem exists, all the lights, the alarm and the horn is working properly....(???)
I took it to the garage but the problem couldn't be traced...
Please Help
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Liakos -
You have pretty much by your own observations traced the problem area :
The problem only exists if you press the brake pedal [;)]
The brake pedal has a build on switch for your rear brakes (stop) lights.
This switch is feeded off fuse F28.
Fuse F28 also feeds the pointers (turn indicators) circuit.
Also fuse F28 feeds the electric windows childrens/pet lock switch circuit.
But fuse F28 does not feed the standard radio connector in Xantia. However your radio feed MAY have been taken from a wire feeded off fuse F28 - if standard connector not used.
As you can se the problem area is then restricted to the circuit feeded off fuse F28 - which should be a 15Amps fuse.
Since this circuit only fails when brake pedal is operated - you should suspect the rear stop lamps circuit.
If you have a trailer hook with trailer outlet - then immediately inspect this outlet wirings circuit. It's very suspect to give problems.
At the brake pedal you find the rear stop lamps switch. Inspect the wiring here for shortcircuits to chassis.
Under the carpets you find the wires running to rear lamps. Lift up carpets - and inspect the cable for any damages - especially near the rear seats - as here you have some sharp edges.
If you get in trouble with fuse F28 keeps burning out - then instead of the fuse connect a HI-wattage bulb - like an old headlamp H4 bulb.
Usually an old H4 bulb will still have the main beam (long lights) working.
Now this bulb will light up - instead of the fuse keeps burning while you test for the problem.
Furthermore - if you shortcircuit the brake pedal switch wires - you will have a constant feed to the circuit - protected by your test bulb instead of the fuse.
When the bulb then lights up bright & sharp - you then know the problem is present.
You must have ignition on while testing.
Good luck [:)]
liakos

Post by liakos »

thanks mate!! you were very helpful!!!