Strange noise - tssst - changed accumulator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

heyoucmere
My Cars:

Strange noise - tssst - changed accumulator

Post by heyoucmere »

Help please! Xantia 1.9TD 1994. Just got it and the brakes were pulsing - read in this wonderful forum that accumulator prob needed changing. My Xantia never 'ticks' or makes that click noise people talk about - but was making a sort of tssssst noise (about half a second long) every three seconds. I changed the front spheres, and the accumulator - the rear spheres were done by the previous owner a month ago. The tsssst noise is still there - about once per 10 seconds, and the brakes are much improved - but not quite right, and if braking during a tssst there is noticeable change in brake performance.
Oh - one other thing - the front disks are binding a bit - you can just turn the wheel by hand when car on jacks - but only just.
Please - please can anyone help? have i got a duff-un??
Many many thanks[:)]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi there
It sounds as if there is something wrong with the pressure regulator if there is no click. Probably just the ball valve needs seating. Come back to us if you need info on how to do this.
It may be just that the pump is not delivering enough output, but I think that if that were the case, the hissing would be continuous
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Nah, Mike - most Xantias only tick if the accumulator is shot, most just make a sort of humming noise for a second or so - might be to do with the much lower output pumps on the later anti-sink models. 10s between repressuring with new accumulator is much too short though - I would try bleeding the brakes first, but if after that it's still behaving odly I might start suspecting the brake valve....
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

My Xantia makes a moise rather like a frog but only every minute or so (we often joke about the frog under the bonnet as we get the 'rivvet' noise). I guess my accumulator must be fine with that frequency. I had one go on a BX and that rattled away like a machine gun. Lucky to get that sorted before it blew all the pipes off.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Assuming that you have released the Handbrake and the car is in neutral, the brakes are binding. This is serious and needs the calipers investigating. 1: does the handbrake cable free off? 2: is the pad wear consistent? If not, the caliper is jammed on its slides and the calipers need taking off, cleaning and lubricating with copaslip. Tying it to your ticking problem, though. If the brakes were partially applied, you could get all these problems so I would firstly check the clearance between the pedal and the brake doseur valve. There should be a little free play. Somebody on here will be able to point you towards a diagram if you are unsure.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Oops - Richard - stand corrected. Is there something different on a Xant PR, then? Must admit I have not owned one of these - on the CIts I am familiar with, the click is caused by the ball valve you can see when you remove the acc sphere. When cutout occurs, one side has line pressure, the other side none.
Anyone know the answer to this? I am intrigued!