Citroen C5 Speedometer problem\power steering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nonnus
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 2.0HDi Activa
Citroen C5 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Citroen C5 Speedometer problem\power steering

Post by nonnus »

Hello... my Citroen c5 2.0HDi (face-lift 2004) was parked in my neighborhood when suddenly a driver lost control in the road curve and crashed into my car (fortunately I was at home). His car hit mostly the back wheel (left side) (driving side) of my car. The car moved around 30 inches to the side and with the impact the wheel is slightly bend inwards. Plus another structure damages (not important in this case). When all the insurance bureaucracy ended with the guilty driver I toke the car out to park into another parking spot (although the damage in the wheel the car still rolls) and that's when I realized that the speedometer wasn't working (It didn't move).
The next day I went to the car again and turned on the car when it beeped and a message appeared in the screen telling that the power steering was faulty, very hard to turn the steering wheel, I checked and there is no hydraulic fluid leaks, nothing, deposit is full. Next I put it to the test with my ODB2 reader and it gave me 2 error messages: Transmission P1351 and P1598, I can't delete these errors, they appear again. What is odd is that, this faulty never occurs everytime because if I turn on the car, the steering is faulty and hard to turn (with error message in the car screen) next I turn off the car, then I turn on the car again and the car is fine, the steering wheel is light (with no error message), but the speedometer is still no working.
This Friday I will take the car to the workshop, scheduled with the insurance expert to examine the damage.
My doubt is, what is the chance for this problems were caused by the accident?? How can I prove to the insurance expert that the accident caused it. Because before the accident I'm sure that the speedometer and the power steering were working fine. Also the car had no computer errors before the accident.
Thanks in advance any help...
:? :? :?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Citroen C5 Speedometer problem\power steering

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It is possible that the impact has damaged an ECU - BSI or engine fuse box or one of the other electronic control units.

P1351 won't be anything to do with it - that is a common fault on all HDIs and concerns the glow plugs (Pre-heating relay circuit: Coherence - Relay supplied and glow plugs not supplied).

P1598 is a cooling circuit bypass valve.

A normal impact on one of the front wheels can cause a problem with the steering rack inner seals and this can cause problems - I know you said the impact was at the rear, but any impact on a stationary vehicle could be enough to cause damage if it has been forced sideways.

An insurance assessor should of assessed the damage properly and not just on the visual aspects, but the mechanical and electronic too if these could of been affected.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
nonnus

Post by nonnus »

Thank you... ;)

About the insurance assessor... he didn't inspect the car yet, the damage inspection is this friday at a car workshop... That's what I'm afraid of... the electrical part problems that the accident might have caused... and the guy from the insurance might reject that... Will see... but I will talk to the workshop mechanic about it as well... ;)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so don't get too specific on the electronic side - but as far as you care concerned the power steering is not functioning randomly since the damage and this could be potentially dangerous with a sudden loss of assistance when driving. Keep the focus on that. The only concern though it that if they deem there is going to be too much cost or work involved they may just write it off and give you market value in that case, so be prepared.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
nonnus

Post by nonnus »

Yes you're right... But I have to sorry I didn't mention about another potencial guilty for the problem, I thought about it later, sorry.
The issue with the power stearing I think that there is nothing wrong, at least it never happened again, the car starts and steers fine since then. I have to say that I think that had to do with the battery (forgot to mention this), because it was almost discharged at that time I started the car (I don't use the car very often... 1x a week maybe and not many miles) I had to charge it at home with portable charger and then I did saw something about the battery that later I thought it was suspicious, I think the battery model is wrong... I have 60Amp\540 and the right for this car I think is 70A\640... Maybe all this is because of the use of a wrong battery.... now about the speedometer I talked about it with the insurance guy but he never believed, very relutant about it (and maybe it really did nothing maybe it was the same issue about the battery).
If I have later to fix this (speedometer) on my own can you tell me if the sensor is the same as the abs or is it another at the driveshaft?? Don't know if it is electronic sensor or mechanical sensor, I've reasearch online but is hard to have a real answer.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I think that you are using a genetic OBD code reader that is reading engine related fault codes but cannot read fault codes for some other ECUs on the car, so there is likely to be diagnostic data that you have not seen yet.
nonnus

Post by nonnus »

Hi again, sorry for the delay... I wish to report that the speedometer problem is fixed, and it was a simple fix. I tried another approach, searching for a solution and found out a video on youtube and tried myself to see if I had the same problem and it turns out it did. I will post the link to the video here it might help someone else with the same problem.

The part I bought on ebay. ;)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gearworks-Ho ... SwEFheQ1VP
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 18 Feb 2020, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed YouTube Code