Breakdown cover

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bick

Breakdown cover

Post by Bick »

Hi guys who we using for breakdown cover nowadays?

Just want relay if all goes wrong and the RAC are being, well pathetic on the price considering ive been with them for years and never called them out. When i explained that there have been 2 occasions in 2 years i could have called them out and i repaired the vehicle myself to save calling them out. He said "you should have done" :rofl2: trying to explain how much money i had saved them was a waste of time.

So im leaving the RAC but where are we getting good service - needed for my berlingo and motorcycle.

Thanks in advance =D>
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: Breakdown cover

Post by Paul-R »

I pay £13 a month for European breakdown cover included as part of the Nationwide FlexPlus service. It's not as good value as it used to be as they no longer pay interest on the current account balance but they still include world-wide travel insurance, commission free foreign cash withdrawals from ATMs and mobile phone cover.

I've used them a couple of times over the last five years or so when the alternator failed on the Xsara and I had to be recovered from Yorkshire and then in France when I left the cooler box plugged in overnight and needed a jump start the following morning.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

The cover is for you not the vehicle so it covers you in whatever car you're in. I have to confess complete ignorance on whether it covers bikes.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Have a look at:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-i ... own-cover/

Autoaid seems to be consistently recommended, though it is a 'no frills' service.

Quote:
" • It insures the person, so you'll be covered in any eligible vehicle you're driving at the time of the breakdown. The vehicle must have up-to-date tax and a valid MOT.

• Free cover for a husband, wife, civil partner or common-law partner. You'll need to provide proof of the relationship within seven days, eg, both names on a utility bill, shared ownership of residential property or joint lease or rental agreement.

• It provides onward transport. Most budget policies only allow the car to be fixed at the roadside or towed to a garage. With AutoAid, you'll get transport to your chosen destination for up to six people.

• Home breakdown cover, limited to £65 per call-out. It pays for labour and recovery, but not parts. The £65 limit is usually enough to cover the call-out fee and any basic labour charge.

AutoAid do not have their own fleet, so notify local recovery operators to help you instead. MoneySavers who use it have mostly reported positive feedback, though there have been reports of not-so-great experiences."
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Sorry, I did reply at some length but, once again, the forum's site let me down (when I hit submit I was required to log in AGAIN! & post was lost while doing that) - & I really can't be bothered to do it all again.

Try ARAG - by far & away the best!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Bick

Post by Bick »

van ordinaire wrote: 14 Dec 2019, 00:58 Sorry, I did reply at some length but, once again, the forum's site let me down (when I hit submit I was required to log in AGAIN! & post was lost while doing that) - & I really can't be bothered to do it all again.

Try ARAG - by far & away the best!
No worries that has happened to me before and you just feel like giving up - now when i do a long post on any forum i copy it before pressing submit. The amount of times its crashed and ive been able to paste my text back in :shock:

Thanks ill give ARAG a try also =D>
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Bick wrote: 14 Dec 2019, 04:59 - now when i do a long post on any forum i copy it before pressing submit. The amount of times its crashed and ive been able to paste my text back in :shock:
So do I - when/if I remember #-o
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o