xsara picasso noise after new springs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

maxxo
My Cars: Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

xsara picasso noise after new springs

Post by maxxo »

Hi all,

So my picasso broke a front spring in the usual exciting way, had to be recovered to a garage.

Anyway the spring has been replaced on both sides now, however i have a knocking noise over bumps and juddering when accelerating in 2nd.
So i'm thinking after some research it could be the top mount of either one of the suspension struts, as i know the bolts need to go back in a certain order.

Does this sound likely? and is there anything else i could check before i get beck in touch with my mechanic

thanks in advance
captainkephart
Donor 2023
My Cars: Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 DOHC petrol 2009

Re: xsara picasso noise after new springs

Post by captainkephart »

Hi Maxxo,
I had a similar situation, I got the knocking (not the judder through).
Mine was caused by the anti-roll bar link retaining nut not being tightened up properly (it is a fiddly mix of hex allen key and ring spanner and hard to get tight). Makes a surprising amount of noise if even a bit loose.
Just a suggestiong ...

Best wishes, Captain K
The secret of happiness is freedom - and the secret of freedom is courage ...
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

The top mount will be knackered too. They should be replaced as a matter of course when replacing front springs.

Don't ask me how I learnt that the hard way. Twice - on a Berlingo, which is essentially the same suspension as the Xsara Picasso.
maxxo
My Cars: Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Post by maxxo »

I think i may have found it......the drivers side wheel+suspension assembly feels almost loose.
The top mount looks alright it has a lot of new grease on it so i'm confident that will be fine.

Going back to the mechanic tomorrow, the clonking seems to have died down a bit now but the steering obviously feels a little strange