tyre pressure sensors

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Haych
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: C5 2.0 hdi exclusive 2010

tyre pressure sensors

Post by Haych »

got 2 slow punctures on the front of my X7 and i took it to garage to fix. It is at this point i realise i know very little about these sensors. When the tyre was removed he showed me a great weighty thing which was the sensor valve combined. Told this was leaking and 100 quid to replace :shock:

So this puncture showed up on the drivers instrument panel saying "Front right tyre punctured" then the service light came on.

so i looking for a bit of info, it seems these sensors are handed and must cause wheel out of balance, i don't know how they get round the problem of piling lead on the rim to match the sensor weight? What happens if i put the spare wheel on? will i get a service light or any other notifications? how to i get rid of these things as service light is mot failure i believe, do they tell you the actual tyre pressure , if so where?

Thats it really, all i have to do now is get the other front wheel off as it is stuck on with a wheel lock nut security fixing #-o
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: tyre pressure sensors

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The advice you have been given may be incorrect.

First, the TPMS sensors have a valve repair kit for about a £5 from the dealer. These should be replaced at some point as over time they can leak. I currently have one on the front right that needs the valve replacement done as it is a slow leak on new tyres. For now, I just use my tyre inflater every now and then to keep the pressures correct until I get around to the next tyre change when I’ll get them to replace the valves in the sensors.

It’s not some thing all tyre fitters will or can do, but the dealers sell the kit with the valve and fittings.

They do last for quite a few tyre changes, where on vehicles without these they change the valve each time of course.

The TPMS rejection for MOTs also is only tested on vehicles first used on or after 1st Jan 2012.

The next possibility is that the battery in one or more of the sensors may have become discharged. These can last anywhere up to 10 years, so that is another possibility. The batteries in these I don’t think can be changed so in that case will require a new sensor. I’ve never had any where the batteries have failed in all my cars with TPMS sensors to date.

I think it is a good safety feature and it has saved me on many occasions where I’ve had a slow puncture or a full puncture. I’ve rarely found the system to be faulty and it doesn’t take too much to have the dealer to re-pair them if there’s a problem.

If you really want to cripple the function, then you would either need to get somebody with diagbox to disable the system or get the dealer to do it, Personally I would either check it’s not the valves first of all and leave the system working.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Haych
(Donor 2019)

Post by Haych »

Well Marc, thats pretty dammed good info again, wow. So i think it is probably obvious to others that i am not in love with this car, and i just focus on the negative. That said the massive oversteer i experience makes me drive it like a hearse, i suppose they'll handle better, only joking.

I am just ignorant of these sensors but i must say you convinced me to stick with them, as i had the seals replaced when i took my tyre leak to be repaired. i wanted both front tyres doing but alas they could not remove the front left due F ing up the wheel lock bolt, instead of using the hand breaker bar they used the rattle gun and as it had been over tightened by someone else, they have now rendered my wheel bolt locking socket useless, andI still have one tyre leaking and unbalanced.

Just an aside; i was the youtube channel "Extreme Motor sport" the lads building the 4x4 mini. i was just thinking what they would do to improve the handling, answer;;; fit the Honda 4 wheel steering ..lol, just a crazy idea, but it would be interesting don't you think :idea:
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Indeed! :-D

I think Citroen flirted with programmed rear wheel steering (passive) - fitted to the Citroen ZX and some other models - but unfortunately the real deal 4 wheel steering form the Activa Concept was a feature that never actually made it into the production version of the Activa :( This was back in 1988.....
Activa B.PNG
Activa A.PNG
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Haych
(Donor 2019)

Post by Haych »

urmmmm
AJM C5
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: C5 Tourer Exclusive 2009, 2.0 HDi
Land Rover V8 LPG 1994
TVR Chimera V8, Tornado cam, Semi race

Blow the bl00dy tyres up, man!

Post by AJM C5 »

This is not useful. It is merely an (other) acknowledgment of all the information on the FCF, which has been so helpful in the past.

My X7 has been running superbly since last year`s maintenance.

Last week there was a `tyre pressure warning` on the dash, RL.

I thought… well … `its probably just Citroen, blow some air in the tyre`. I did, but the warning, despite Lexia clearing, came again.

I searched this magnificent forum - and saw postings about `don`t trust garage forecourt tyre pressure indicators`. So despite blowing in 2.5Bar (I thought, according to the garage gauge - free air, nice), the error came up again. Alors?!!

Overnight, I thought… (I do have such things) well, test it with your stick gauge; I did - and it showed only 32psi. Went back to the garage and blew in an alleged 3Bar both sides. Problem solved - no service errors.

I appreciate that other drivers have more serious errors - but just saying, before `bailing out` and `calling the experts` - always listen to the FORUM FIRST?!! ;-)

Kind Rgds

C5 AJM