Phenonemonally Interesting Content?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Phenonemonally Interesting Content?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

November has broken an all-time FCF record

Who Knew?
screenshot
screenshot
Regards Neil

mickthemaverick
Donor 2019

Re: Phenonemonally Interesting Content?

Post by mickthemaverick »

:-k :-k :dunno:

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Sadly, I don't think that we really have that many real readers. It looks like most of our current traffic is coming from a block of IP addresses that are allocated in Hong Kong, the requests appear to be coming from mobile browsers, but that data is easily faked. More likely a botnet of some kind, but it does not seem to be causing us any performance issues.

About 50 of them are currently reading the FAQ page, which is absolutely riveting...

white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

At this very moment they are hatching a fiendish plot :gh: to steal ideas on how to...
Spoiler: show
...make an X7 steering rack that doesn't leak :shock: #-o

ekjdm14
Donor 2020

Post by ekjdm14 »

xantia_v6 wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 19:33
Sadly, I don't think that we really have that many real readers. It looks like most of our current traffic is coming from a block of IP addresses that are allocated in Hong Kong, the requests appear to be coming from mobile browsers, but that data is easily faked. More likely a botnet of some kind, but it does not seem to be causing us any performance issues.

About 50 of them are currently reading the FAQ page, which is absolutely riveting...
Interesting to note, a CB radio DX'ing forum I use has been suffering a large scale attack from the very same (Hong Kong, mobile browsers) which had been causing sql errors and resource limits to be reached. This was anywhere from 600-1200 "users" though as the forum software needed attending to & hopefully is sorted now. Maybe worth keeping an eye on though, if it's of any interest I'll post a link to the thread where it was discussed since the solution (which I can't remember except that some IPs were blocked and this didn't fix it so they were unblocked again!) was posted there & it's also a phpBB forum.

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

They seem to have got bored and moved on, there were only a couple active this morning, and none that I have seen since then. Fortunately we have a fair amount of reserve capacity in our server configuration, so I could not detect any significant increase in loading even when there were 200 odd active.

I am not aware of any current weakness in the phpBB forum software which would make it attractive to attack (and reading the FAQ page is an unlikely attack vector). I think that someone was just exercising their bots.

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Well the previous "record" has been obliterated

June 5th 2021, yes last Saturday, yours truly contributed 7 posts. I don't think anything within them caused a spurt of on-line frenzy but the FCF all time record was smashed for "Who is On Line".
temp2.png
Regards Neil