1.6 hdi vtx startup problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rob78
My Cars: in order of the pain they cause me......

2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.9D
2005 Honda CRV (stopgap until berlingo is sorted)
2009 Toyota Avensis

1.6 hdi vtx startup problem

Post by rob78 »

having rescued a 2008 picasso 1.6 hdi that was heading for the scrap heap due to a back end shunt I have a niggle with starting that im going to have to bite the bullet and ask if someone could kindly advise me on as I cant seem to resolve myself.

seemingly a common fault according to various forums with no definitive answer, I get a cloud of smoke and rough idle on startup for about 10-15 sec, touch the accelerator and it sorts itself out. Runs perfect, no smoke, no loss of power, no EML or stored DTCs. This happens after the car has been stood, whilst it is warm the car starts fine.

so far I have :
  • completed a full scan with lexia (nothing found)
    leak off tested injectors
    inspected & cleaned egr
    cleaned MAF
    replaced glow plugs
    ran couple of tanks through with hydra cleaner
    changed fuel filter
    checked for air in pipes / priming bulb stays firm
    coolant temp matches ambient temp more or less so ruling out temp sensor
    cleaned contacts between glow relay and under bonnet fusebox
    checked pipes under engine cover that are prone for rubbing through
now, some forums say that this engine does use the glowplugs for a minute or two after ignition regardless of ambient temp to help initial combustion. With this in mind I stuck a clamp meter round the glowplug wires and get no more than about 1.2-1.5 amps, and to get this I have to trick the ecu by unplugging the temp sensor on the engine.

I would be expecting more than this when they are in use, all plugs are 1.5ohms so I am sure of continuity between the plug relay and the plugs.

What I am thinking is a partial failure of the glowplug relay or am I barking up the wrong tree?

is a faulty crankshaft sensor another possibility?

It seems there are contradictory thoughts on this online and I am wondering if anyone has had the same issue?

**** quick update, -1 this morning and although starting first try, it was the roughest startup yet. it was shaking and rattling so bad i thought it was going to die completely but again couple of blips of the accelerator and it sorted itself out ****