306 heater matrix?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DBNADS

306 heater matrix?

Post by DBNADS »

on way to work this morning, after about 2 miles, first smelt kind of rusty-antifreeze-watery smell (if you`ve smelt it you`ll know what I mean), followed very shortly by steam entering the car through the air vents. Noticed a trickle of water from the foot air vent.
My guess is it`s the heater matrix - does anyone have experience enough to suggest this is the problem or if it is likely to be something else?
Thanks
Car: 306 1.9 Diesel, `94/L
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Sounds like a pin hole leak in your matrix.. Try Fortes radiator sealer first before you get into the more difficult solutions. And make sure you keep the coolant level high, you DONT want to get air in the system!
solara

Post by solara »

Snap!
I got the same problem this morning.
Radiator sealer is a short term fix (6 months?).
And it will probably fail when you least expect it.
I am going to change my heater matrix, looks like a pig of a job from the haynes manual (dash out).
Any shorcuts/tips anyone?
cjhx

Post by cjhx »

I recently changed the heater matrix on my 405. After reading the posts on here I was unsure of whether I should do it as it seems like a monster of a job.
However, it wasn't that bad. I got the old matrix out one afternoon and the new one in the next afternoon. I wasn't even a full days work although Peugeot reckoned that it was more than a days work when I asked them for a quote.
I don't know about the 306 or others but with the 405, it was a case of dismantling the dash and centre console as in the Haynes manual but you don't need to remove the dash completely. In the 405 the heater matrix slides out sideways towards the passenger side so you only have to move the dash about 6 or 8 inches to allow enough room to slide it out.
If you are going to do it, persevere and keep at it no matter how daunting it seems.
Good luck!
solara

Post by solara »

Changed the matrix on my 306, about 10 hrs work all in all.
Dash has to come out completely.
PS much easier to disconnect matrix from drivers compartment than engine bay hoses.
check the pics...
http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sol ... .dir=/de47