Hello again /xantia 1.9 td sx 1996 n plate

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jakeuk
My Cars:

Hello again /xantia 1.9 td sx 1996 n plate

Post by jakeuk »

some of you chaps may remember me from about 3 months ago when i first got my xantia,,,major oil leak problem,, it was a turbo duct not fitted after repairs by previous owner.
anyway i got another minor niggle,the rear suspension wont sink after engine turn off and when i come to start the car again it starts only after a lot of cranking/rear sinks/plumes of smoke....its just flew thru its mot so no emission probs
i thought i'd catch you still warm after morgaines problems as mine is simmilar
its got five new spheres 4xcorners 1x front height corrector,the one on the back looks ancient so my suspicions lead to either that or this automatic switch thingy that drops the rear when ign swithed off
changing a sphere i could manage, this other bit i would need a bit of coaching on
any help/advice/thoughts are all welcomed
ps this aint an urgent matter,,,,,,i dont think so anyway[?]
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Jake,
1. Cold starting - it probably needs a new set of glowplugs - try heating it 2/3 times before starting to see if this improves things - if it does this is a good sign the plugs are past their best. 3 are easy(ish) to change - the 4th behind the injection pump is a pig.
2. Height. Hmm, not sure you have a problem here - or maybe the opposite end you think you have?! 96 will be fitted with anti-sink - this stops the suspension sinking with the engine off - it will sink a bit, but should stay quite well up at both ends over night. Give us a bit more detail about what your perceived problem is?
jakeuk
My Cars:

Post by jakeuk »

Hi richard
righto,when i start the car in the morning,as soon as the engine starts to crank(but before firing) the first thing the car wants to do is drop the rear all the way down,then i need to keep cranking in order to fire wich leads me to believe that the rear should be down before firing and subsequently raised once sufficient pressure is reached,in any event the car goes down at the back every time but not after first start of the day....my first suspicion was the glow plugs and still maybe but she starts perfect after the first time even upto 3 or 4 hours later
ps i work nights 1st start is usually in the afternoon
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Right -
1) coldstart problem - first time in the morning. Try if the fuel primer bulb can be pumped up to get stiff. Then try start engine.
2) The antisink system is a fully hydraulic function - no electric controls involved.
The sudden rear drop is caused by the pump giving system pressure very fast - in turn points to a flat accumulator sphere (the one on engine block).
jakeuk
My Cars:

Post by jakeuk »

so have i got this right? the sphere on the engine block governs what goes on at the rear of the car.........if so what is "flat" can i repair it or do i need a new one?
cheers guys
jake
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

Hi Jake,
The accumulator sphere is about £20 from GSF and takes 20 minutes to change it using basic tools and a pair of ramps.
Suggest you see Dave Burns post here:
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... re+Change
I'd recommend putting a plastic bag over the sphere as you undo it to catch any drips.
Andy