EGR valve …….. To clean or not to clean ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jml
Locked user account
My Cars: A brilliant C8 2.2 HDi 173

EGR valve …….. To clean or not to clean ?

Post by jml »

Generally I’m very keen on preventative maintenance and maybe that’s part of the reason why my C8 2.2 HDI 173 has got to 160,000 miles with very, very few problems. However, now I can’t quite make my mind up whether I should attempt cleaning my EGR. So, why the dilemma ?

Well, I’ve almost always used premium fuel, which is claimed to have more detergents, and when I cleaned my DPF, at around 120,000 miles, it really wasn’t dirty at all. I’ve always used Total’s Quartz Ineo ECS which should have helped keep things clean. The car runs well and I’ve kept a detailed check of the fuel consumption throughout it’s life and it is actually slowly improving. My DPF additive didn’t need refilling until over 140,000 miles, so everything seems to point to the fact that all’s well, so maybe I should leave well alone.

But, as mentioned, I like to try and prevent any problems before they occur so should I remove the EGR valve to clean it ? Well, have you seen the layout on the C8 or read the official process ?!! Because it is pretty complex, I’d be a little apprehensive that, in removing the EGR, there’s a chance that I may disturb something or cause some other problem. Of course, I could use a spray cleaner like Wynns, but with the instructions advising “During the spraying, the rpm can go up or down. Diesel knocking can increase” I’m rather nervous about using that.

So, preventative maintenance or ‘If it ain’t broke. Don’t fix it’ Any thoughts folks ?
Julian Leyton (RIP) 2023
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: EGR valve …….. To clean or not to clean ?

Post by Stickyfinger »

‘If it ain’t broke. Don’t fix it’ is my vote.

Nothing bad will happen if you leave it other than -maybe- having to do it at some time ahead.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
jml
Locked user account

Post by jml »

Thanks Alasdair.
Having just re-read the Citroen instructions I’m, more than ever, inclined to agree with you !
Out of interest, does anybody have experience with the Wynns’ EGR aerosol cleaner ?
Cheers
Julian
Julian Leyton (RIP) 2023
Estately
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 00 Xantia 2.0 HDI 90 bhp Estate 237k Gone to New Home
07 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive Estate 211k. Gearbox selector failed.
10 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Auto Exclusive Estate. Px'd
13 C5 2.0 HDI 160 Manual Exclusive Tourer.

Post by Estately »

I know where you are coming from re EGR removal particularly if all seems well with that component.

I have used the EGR aerosol but on two MKII 2.0L HDi C5’s, for no other reason than they had both covered about 120k miles at the time of use and there was no change in performance as a result of the treatment either then or later. About the same time a friend of my son’s Citroen van with the 2.2L engine had the EGR changed under warranty and he brought the EGR for us to see which was coked up solid. He is a very spirited driver and the van was always well loaded.

On the 2.0L HDi engine it is possible to loosen the clip on the inlet pipe work on top of the engine and temporarily fit the plastic red extension pipe that comes with the aerosol to give a squirt into the inlet as close to the EGR as possible and obviously clear of the air filter.

I think the EGR treatment was a Forte product, It was sprayed in with the engine up to temperature running between tick over and 1200 rpm. The engine does start to run roughly and stutter at which moment I stopped spraying until the revs returned to normal before repeating 3 or 4 times. I don’t think much of the can’s content was used.

As an aside, when the cam belt was changed the diameter of inlet ahead of the inlet valves was considerably reduced by a build up of carbon.

Hope that helps.

Andy.
If it can happen it will.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

If you can't see it to check if it needs attention & everything suggest it doesn't then don't - then don't.

As for the immediate effects of using a spray, when I did the C15 (at, I suppose, 205,000) because its appearance was akin to the inside of a sump, it raced for a few seconds &, presumably 'til the cleaner was consumed, & immediately settled back down to an even tickover.

Now curious as to whether it is any part of a service schedule.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
jml
Locked user account

Post by jml »

Thanks guys for all of your thoughts.

As I mentioned, I've almost always used premium diesel - It hurts at the pumps, costing about £7 or £8 extra for every fill, and I do about 25 fills/year and I've often wondered if I was just pouring money down the drain. However with the long life of my DPF additive and a clean filter I'm just hoping that it really has helped to keep things clean and keep my engine running smoothly - let's hope that's not just wishful thinking ? :?

Mind you, I was talking to the Editor of Diesel Car magazine the other day and he felt that using one of the additives like Millers Ecomax at each fill up would probably have the same effect as using premium fuel but at much lower cost. However I did use that for a while earlier in the car's life and it STANK :o and the smell seemed to hang around for ages.

Cheers

Julian
Julian Leyton (RIP) 2023