Battery Charge or electrical supply fault. Peugeot 308

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Momo80
New User

Battery Charge or electrical supply fault. Peugeot 308

Post by Momo80 »

Totally new to forums but my mechanic is scratching his head so I need some advice. So he changed my thermostat a couple of weeks back £356. Apparently thermostats are very tricky/intricate on these models. Anyway picked up the "fixed" car and was immediately presented with abs and eps faulty light...also check engine oil (there was oil).
Anyhow a week later "battery charge or electrical supply fault" car managed to carry on driving and warning went off. Happened again the next day. That evening I left the house in the dark (lights on)...same battery error, steering got stiff. Pulled over and it shut off. Got a jump start and left it at the garage.
He called an electrician, they tried 3 diagnostic machines.(not sure what they are called) but the car/computer/ecu Would NOT communicate with any of them. Blank screens.
Now I am sure that some wiring must have been damaged/blown/disconnected during the thermostat change. Mechanic is veering towards alternator HOWEVER he is reluctant to buy an alternator blindly if the diagnostic machine hasn't told him to.
The car runs fine but after 10-20 minutes drive. Same battery/electrical fault error it goes off again after about 5 minutes. Luckily it hasn't cut out yet on 2 journeys so I presume it's an intermittent fault.
So my question...do you think that it simply needs a new alternator....or is this more of an electrical issue as the ecu is not communicating with the diagnostic machine? (If so...any idea what this electrical fault may be)? And could it have happened during thermostat change.

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Re: Battery Charge or electrical supply fault. Peugeot 308

Post by xantia_v6 »

You need to tell us at least which variety of engine is fitted to the cr, and preferably give the VIN of the car so that we can identify what components are fitted.

moizeau
donor 2020

Post by moizeau »

Has anyone gone back to basics and got a multimeter out?
Just because a diagnostic says 'x is knackered' it's not always the case. Diagnostics are a tool, like a spanner, that help you to pinpoint the problem area.
No disrespect to your's, but many mechanics are fitters these days.
Start simple, it's a lot cheaper.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Also worth removing the battery and giving it a full charge to eliminate that as a problem, ideally over a few days to let it stand and see if it is self-discharging due to an internal fault.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Agree with all that - I can't believe they haven't tested the alternator on the vehicle! It should be easy enough to test whether it is charging.

If the car is idling, put a load onto the system - switch the A/C on, put the heated rear windscreen on, the fan up full, switch the headlights on and then see if the engine revs increase to generate more power - they should be able to check the alternator is providing the power needed consistently. If it is doing its job, then your problem may be from there to the battery or from the battery to the engine fuse box. Check all the terminals there too.

The power steering is electrically powered - so if there has been no charge getting to the battery then it is only a matter of time before the battery becomes discharged and you lose PS assistance. So regardless you need to test the battery and see if it is end of life (how long has it been in use)?

Next check the charging circuit and the alternator belt isn't shot or loose - then the battery terminals are clean and the wiring are is intact.

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

If it has a thp engine, there is an alternator control module that shares a fuse with the turbo cooling pump, the failure of which is quite common.