Bargain Basement Electric

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Bargain Basement Electric

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

MOT today for the Bargain Basement Leaf, nothing to do, mileometer just clicked over 55,555 without a photo for the significant mileage thread. In the 4 miles travelled from leaving home, forgot to stop and get the shutter clicked.

Just over 27,000 in total for the 34 months so far in our ownership.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 05 Sep 2022, 12:36 ....... forgot to stop and get the shutter clicked.

REgards Neil
I did exactly the same thing the other day. On arriving home with the odometer reading 111105 on Friday I determined to take the shot on Saturday after 6 miles en route to Hatfield. -- forgot and it's way too late now!! #-o
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Did some maintenance on the Leaf on Monday fixed this
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 23:20 Intelligent key for the Leaf is showing Low Battery.

The Manual says use CR2025 or Equivalent. Seeing the shelves festooned with CR2032 coin batteries and a bit of a dearth of CR2025 Batterie I wsas thinking maybe the CR2032 is equivalent. Almost but not quite,

CR2032 is 3.2mm thick, CR 2025 is 2.5mm thick, and the 20 bit is the diameter in mm, The letter “C” is the letter code assigned by the International Electrochemical Commission (IEC) This is to designate the battery’s chemical composition, which, in this case, is lithium. The “R” is for the battery’s shape, which is “round.”

The CR2032 has a battery capacity of roughly 235mAh. Meanwhile, the CR2025 can carry a charge amounting to 170mAh. The CR2032 should last longer. Both batteries put out around 3 volts. Technically, you can use them interchangeably if not for the thickness difference.

Guess I will go for the CR2025 as stated in black and white, but what's 0.7mm, maybe enough to make the intelligent Key case not click closed right.
bobins wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 06:49 Screwyfixy have 2x CR2025 £2.56, Toolstation 1x CR2025 £1.49, 4x CR2025 £3.79
I would never have thought of trying ScrewFix/Tool Station so thanks Bobins.
Finally got round to buying a four-pack of CR2025 batteries from tool station for the price as indicated, and changed one in the fob which the car was reporting as marginally down on charge.
DSC02602.JPG
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I have grown both to like the Alizarin Crimson, and the classic lines of our classic leaf but, I always like to spot one in this shade of blue.

In all its gorgeousness, the blue classic leaf is a sight to behold, shiny ears as well, and still the best bet for bargain basement electric motoring.
DSC02692.JPG
DSC02691.JPG
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

BB Leaf down the quayside
BB Leaf down the quayside
Nice View
Nice View
Thankfully remembered that reverse is forward and drive is back.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 15 Nov 2019, 20:38 Here's hoping my tab packet calculations aren't far off the mark. Too late now :-D
Three years to the day later, non, je ne regrette rien.
Picture of the late afternoon!<br />29,430 Electric Miles over 3 years.  <br />Never ran out of leccy once!
Picture of the late afternoon!
29,430 Electric Miles over 3 years.
Never ran out of leccy once!
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Built in obsolescence, or when cars are new, they aren’t set up right :?:

Yes mes Amis, I’m talking about those touch screen jobs.

Right hand side of the leaf one is playing up. Not consequential really, bit inconvenient in not being able to switch to max 80% charge longlife mode, and we have long abandoned any infotainment or sat nav from Nissan.

Of course if the touch screen goes kaput, there isn’t any way around it to access that function.

So while Nissan May offer to correct their ineptitude by relieving you of best part of £1,000, to replace a screen,
This is never going to be a good price to pay to relieve a minor inconsequential irritation.

Off to the Internet where the good folks of the general public somehow discover how to recalibrate the touchscreen.

So apologies FCF for my own convenience I will drop a link here. Nice work if you can get it. None of this getting dirty and worrying about less profits for repairs, just manufacture some built in obsolescence touch screens into every vehicle, and make some easy money when they inevitably go wrong.

https://www.speakev.com/threads/touch-s ... ng.157030/

Regards Neil

Ps the procedure is one of those ridiculous dances and goes sort of like....

Start the car.
Set the radio to FM.
Press MAP 3 times, Audio Power twice (bottom left), and MAP one more time.
This should open the System Diagnostic Menu.
(Experiment with timing if it doesn't work first time)
Tap Confirmation/Adjustment.
Tap Display Diagnosis.
Tap Touch Panel.

Follow the onscreen instructions to recalibrate the four corners.
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 17 Nov 2022, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

andy5 wrote: 01 Aug 2022, 20:58 I'd want an electric car that could do occasional towing.

They cost about £40,000 to £80,000 new, so quite a long wait to see if they ever get affordable.
Very few and far between. Read the spec sheets VERY carefully as only a few specific models have towing capacities above garden trailers or small folding campers.
NewcastleFalcon

Part of the link I posted for my own selfish needs on the "touch screen" righthand side malfunction includes a link to a generic part which some posters have sourced, which with a moderate degree of carefulness and skill solves the irritation and inconvenience.

Note it is just the touch screen, none of the gubbins in the box behind it, or the entire head unit or whatever its called. So a new touch screen from China, delivered to the UK....how much....

Less than £20.
temp2.png
Successfully fitted here by Piper64 https://www.speakev.com/threads/touch-s ... st-3268227
I've just replaced the touchscreen on my 2015 Leaf Acenta and wanted to add my thanks to Art for sharing his info, and to encourage others to take the plunge!
The suggested screen arrived from AliExpress within two weeks - about £12 exc coming to £17 with tax. When I finally plucked up courage to get on with the job it turned out to be fairly straightforward. I didn't need to remove the ribbon cable covering plate from the main unit; I didn't need to do any soldering or make alterations to the four pin cable and I didn't need to do any calibration of the screen. The only cables I needed to disconnect were the wide ribbon one from the back of the screen unit and the small one connecting the touchscreen itself to the pcb.
Screwdriver sizes PH00 for the smaller screws and PH1 for the others - boy were those on the ribbon cover tight! I noticed that of the 5 screws holding the black plastic bezel, the central one was slightly different with a shoulder which didn't fit properly in other holes - don't know why they did that.
I'd love to know why the right side of all these screens are failing - any comment from Nissan?
Good luck!
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

So have you ordered one Neil? :)
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 09:23 So have you ordered one Neil? :)
No. I've done a bit of research, come to the conclusion that I will never pay anyone to do it least of all Nissan, and will adopt a strategy of putting up with the minor irritation in the knowledge that a less than £20 solution has been done by the pioneers before as a comforting conclusion to the research.

I may try some of the non-taking things to bits ruses mentioned elsewhere in the thread like the recalibration of the screen. Then again it could just revive itself magically when the rain stops!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 09:50
I may try some of the non-taking things to bits ruses mentioned elsewhere in the thread like the recalibration of the screen. Then again it could just revive itself magically when the rain stops!

Regards Neil
So does this indicate a straightforward "Don't care enough to be bothered" or a reluctance to dismantle the electronic parts of the car for fear of making things worse? :-D

If it's the second then I would suggest that with the possibility of a meet with other FCFers in the offing next spring it may be worth ordering a screen and keeping it in stock until then? Just a thought!! :-D
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

The more I see about the failings of all there relatively superfluous 'improvements' the more pleased I am that I don't have to deal with them.
If the stereo in my car goes wrong, I will drive in silence, which I did on my last trip to Whitby, Son had turned it off (he uses a bluetooth thingy and his phone) and I didn't turn it back on.

A load of very expensive headaches for the most part.
Phones are bad enough. Mine has started 'dinging' as though a text has come in.
But no, it is a news update. Who needs that? If I want to know the news, I will look in the appropriate place and a phone is not that place.

My Kindle died. Using the phone as an e-reader is hard work.
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 10:26
So does this indicate a straightforward "Don't care enough to be bothered" or a reluctance to dismantle the electronic parts of the car for fear of making things worse? :-D

If it's the second then I would suggest that with the possibility of a meet with other FCFers in the offing next spring it may be worth ordering a screen and keeping it in stock until then? Just a thought!! :-D
Yes a bit of both. The problem as it presents itself isn't a problem. The newer Leafs including the 30kWh version of the Classic Leaf don't even have the longlife battery switch, which all it does is automatically stop charging when the battery reaches 80%. I can quite easily stop a charge at any time manually.

So yes, if I don't have to do any dismantling with a possibility of making things worse, I won't do it, and a successful outcome would only restore a function I can do without anyway.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

myglaren wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 11:19 The more I see about the failings of all there relatively superfluous 'improvements' the more pleased I am that I don't have to deal with them.
If the stereo in my car goes wrong, I will drive in silence, which I did on my last trip to Whitby, Son had turned it off (he uses a bluetooth thingy and his phone) and I didn't turn it back on.

A load of very expensive headaches for the most part.
Phones are bad enough. Mine has started 'dinging' as though a text has come in.
But no, it is a news update. Who needs that? If I want to know the news, I will look in the appropriate place and a phone is not that place.

My Kindle died. Using the phone as an e-reader is hard work.
Mine is doing that too a bit of a pain, did you stop it?
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)