faulty, handbrake ,ESP/ASR system

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

habo
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: xantia I 2.0
Grand Picasso 1.6 hdi model 2006

faulty, handbrake ,ESP/ASR system

Post by habo »

Hellow everyone
New in forum . I have a C4 GP 1.6 dhi 109hp 2006 model.
My problem is that when I start the engine after a while I see on the screen <info handbrake info faulty> and <info faulty ESP/ASR system>
and open and stay open the ESP triangle , auto(P)off and service.
The info stops but the lights stay.
In reality the electric handbrake works , but I do not have ABS , ESP or Hill Assistance.
In lexia there are some faults about AGR (which I need to change anyway) and indication for BSM F035 and ESP U1208 .
What have we done? we have tested other BSM but the problem stayes , we changed the ABS unit but nothing changed and last we changed the ECU but
again nothing.
What they (garage) still want to do is to change another ABS unit and after change BSI and lastly start to look at the cables.
Garage is 150Km far from me (I live in a village) .The car stayed there twice for a month and it is difficult as this is my only car.
So what do you think ? Does anyone have an idea?
thank you
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: faulty, handbrake ,ESP/ASR system

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi, and :welc: to the forum. Might I suggest that you post the vehicle VIN here? That way a Moderator can look up what equipment your car had when she rolled out of the factory and what are the correct parts and procedures. For security reasons the VIN will be obscured so only Forum staff can read it.

If you can get access to a Lexia diagnostics kit and read off the various codes that would also help. A generic code reader will not help here, as the PSA group use proprietary codes that are difficult to read (but a Lexia diagnostics setup won't have any problems here, if it has up to date software). Once you have the error codes please post them here as well, so the Moderators can help narrow down what the problems are. Just changing parts to see if that will fix the problem (especially if it is not clear WHAT the problem is) is an expensive and time consuming way to go. If the garage says they KNOW that replacing a part will fix the problem suggest to them that, if it doesn't, you don't have to pay for the part or the labour! The reaction could be interesting.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 12 Nov 2019, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

habo wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 10:28 Hellow everyone
My problem is that when I start the engine after a while I see on the screen <info handbrake info faulty> and <info faulty ESP/ASR system>
In reality the electric handbrake works , but I do not have ABS , ESP or Hill Assistance.
In lexia there are some faults about AGR (which I need to change anyway) and indication for BSM F035 and ESP U1208 .
What have we done? we have tested other BSM but the problem stayes , we changed the ABS unit but nothing changed and last we changed the ECU but
again nothing.
What they (garage) still want to do is to change another ABS unit and after change BSI and lastly start to look at the cables.
Garage is 150Km far from me (I live in a village) .The car stayed there twice for a month and it is difficult as this is my only car.
So what do you think ? Does anyone have an idea?
thank you
First get a full diagnostic, and put the codes up here.

The ABS / ESP system controls the Electric Parking Brake ECU, so it is perfectly normal for some of the functions like Hill Start Assist and cruise control to be deactivated while you have an ABS / ESP system fault.

It really is no good changing ABS modules out without knowing the cause, as you could be introducing further problems (the ABS/ ESP modules have to be identical and if changed, must be programmed for your vehicle unless identical). You also may find that you will have to set the steering wheel angle sensor if you change the module ot that will also cause an ESP / ABS fault until it is recalibrated.

A full diagnostic (preferably with Diagbox) would at least provide some ideas to the problem areas. Post all the fault codes you have and your VIN here and it may help with some localisation of the faults.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Welcome along!
habo wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 10:28
I had just this problem on a 2008 C4 GP....and spent a long time chasing it.... I suspect I know what is wrong with it :lol:

habo wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 10:28 In lexia there are some faults about AGR (which I need to change anyway) and indication for BSM F035 and ESP U1208 .
A ha! When you say AGR do you mean the exhaust gas recirc valve? This is likely the cause of your problem.

For some reason when they programmed this, the fault with the EGR valve does not put the engine fault light on, but it does interrupt the engine signal to the ABS / ESP ECU which then gets upset and puts the handbrake light on. Genius. I chased this for about 6 months before changing the EGR valve which finally fixed it :? Changing the valve is not as hard as it looks - access is not too bad with the wipers / scuttle etc removed.
Richard W
habo
(Donor 2021)

Post by habo »

Hellow
Thanks for welcoming and answers
VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Hell Razor5543 wrote some cods which they showed me ...... BSM F035 and ESP U1208 and I remember, these was from garages diagbox .
They tell me which parts they need and I buy . If something goes wrong I dont pay labor but the parts stays to me like ECU and ABS module now (I can always sell those on ebay but I prefer to keep stock)

GiveMeABreak I am in http://service.citroen.com/ as a mechanic (I AM NOT) and I always have any part number. I prefer used ones if I can find and exactly the same age.
What makes me impression is that can we have problems from ESP/ABS modules even if is from same car same year same codes? and also for steering wheel angle sensor.
Anyway we had the same problems with the old one and the (new second hand) module.
Because garage is far, I desided finally and order a diagbox full chip from here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3238083 ... f0d7d1a0c6 .But where can I find instractions how to use it .Ok for to I find the fault codes I believe that is easy.
RichardW thanks for the idea but the EGR gives the genius signals and we have the handbrake lights on, but also deactivate ABS ESP and hill assist?

thanks
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So for confirmation 'Habo' has a C4 PICASSO ESTATE - LEISURE 1.6 HDi 110 particle emission filter (DV6TED4) piloted manual gearbox 6.

The key thing here is the actual cause. Read what Richard said and see if that resolves the issue

For the moment, forget the problems with the Hill Start and Cruise etc - this is normal if the ESP / ABS ECU perceives a fault on the system and will deactivate these functions. This does not necessarily indicate a fault with the handbrake or the ESP / ABS system - unless there are specific faults identified.

The fault code you have specified is associated with the piloted manual gearbox and the engine ECU:

Code U1208

Description: Fault in the information transmitted by the engine management ECU: Value received incorrect. No information is being sent by the engine ECU (Foot throttle pedal; Engine speed; engine torque). The fault code appears after 1s.

Conditions: The fault will appear as long as the supply voltage is correct (between 8V and 16V on Pin 3 of the 28-way connector) and as long as the following codes are not present: U1000 - U1003 - U1108.

Conditions for this fault to disappear:Receipt of 20 consecutive items of valid information.

Downgrade Modes:

There are 3 possible downgrade modes depending on why the fault is triggered:

Possibility 1: Engine Speed Fault
  • Change to neutral and no gear can be engaged
  • Opening of the clutch when close to idling speed
  • Take-off deactivated (With the vehicle stopped)
  • If the vehicle has the Stop and Start system : Stop and start function deactivated
Possibility 2: Accelerator Pedal Position Fault
  • Automatic mode deactivated
  • Opening of the clutch when close to idling speed
  • Take-off deactivated (With the vehicle stopped)
Possibility 3: Fault with Engine Temperature and Torques
  • Gear engagement downgraded
  • Crawling deactivated
Warnings that may be shown:
If there is a fault on the information on accelerator pedal position or engine speed
  • "SERVICE" warning lamp
  • Sport warning lamp
  • Snow warning lamp
  • Automatic or 6-speed piloted manual gearbox warning lamps (Orange PRND triangle)
  • Display of a "-" on the fascia panel
Possible Symptoms Noticed by the Driver:

Possibility 1: Engine Speed Fault
  • Take-off deactivated
  • Difficult/impossible to change a gear
Possibility 2: Accelerator Pedal Position Fault
  • Take-off deactivated
  • Difficult/impossible to change a gear
Possibility 3: Fault with Engine Temperature and Torques
  • No customer complaint
Suspect Areas:
  • 28-way harness of the piloted manual gearbox ECU
  • Engine ECU
As for Fault Code F035:

There is no other info except for the description:

Fault: absence of communication with the trailer fuse box ECU or the bodywork conversion ECU - not characterised.

Marc
habo
(Donor 2021)

Post by habo »

Μarc first off all a big thank you
So you agree with Richard.
OK then I will start changing the EGR valve (can be problem if it is aftermarket? maybe you or someone else know some aftermarket that feats ok for sour? after putting the valve need to do something in ECU?)
Second after that I will do a update to ECU from citroen and I will check with diagbox .So we will see then if we have fault codes or we had a solution.
Mark from where you find all that information's about fault codes ? Some software that can I buy?
Greetings Habo
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Richard has suggested this as a possibility as he has owned one of these - it is simply a suggestion as each car will be unique in why the faults are triggered. I've just provided the description from the fault codes you have submitted.

There is no procedure you need to perform if replacing the EGR for this model.

Marc
habo
(Donor 2021)

Post by habo »

RichardW wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 12:36
Welcome along!
habo wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 10:28
I had just this problem on a 2008 C4 GP....and spent a long time chasing it.... I suspect I know what is wrong with it :lol:

habo wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 10:28 In lexia there are some faults about AGR (which I need to change anyway) and indication for BSM F035 and ESP U1208 .
A ha! When you say AGR do you mean the exhaust gas recirc valve? This is likely the cause of your problem.

For some reason when they programmed this, the fault with the EGR valve does not put the engine fault light on, but it does interrupt the engine signal to the ABS / ESP ECU which then gets upset and puts the handbrake light on. Genius. I chased this for about 6 months before changing the EGR valve which finally fixed it :? Changing the valve is not as hard as it looks - access is not too bad with the wipers / scuttle etc removed.
RichardW
I am waiting for the new egr and I will change it , but maybe the after egr pipe/tube and cooler will effect if it iw blocked or semi blocked?
I read somewhere in a peugeot forum for the same moter dv6ted4 that esp needw to know the measurement of exhaust emissions passing through egr (I dont know why) and therefore fault in egr shows in abs/esp system.
So, I think of changing egr but maybe with blocked tube/pipe we have the same problem?
habo
(Donor 2021)

Post by habo »

A few days ago I finally changed the EGR . Finally that was it . RichardW was right 100%, no warnings, no lights lit open. I have driven about 100km and all seems ok.
To tell the truth , I still cannot believe it ! Specially big thanks to RichardW who saved me from a problem they did not seem to be able to fix in Greece.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well done and thanks for the update!

Marc
Raz
New User
My Cars: Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6vti

Post by Raz »

Hi. I have a Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6vti. I've got the same problem with the ESP/parking brake. It also has another problem. It's always blowing a 15 amp fuse in the engine bay fusebox. I've tested it with diagbox, and have the same u1208 fault code, but the engine has no fault codes. When I've tested each engine components, i found a short circuit in the canister purge valve, but the engine runs fine without triggering the eml or engine fault codes. I've disconnected the plug from the faulty component, but it still blows that same fuse. I've changed the fuse box, thinking that was the problem, but it wasn't. Disconnected all the engine sensors, apart from the injectors and crankshaft position sensor, hoping to find the faulty component that blows that fuse, but with no success. Did anyone encountered a similar problem?
joztom
My Cars: Citroen C4 Picasso

Post by joztom »

Whenever you get consecutive error messages on ASR, ESP, automatic gearbox or automatic handbrake, the reason is a bad battery. The ECU turns off the convenience systems to save voltage in case of an emergency safe stop. Whenever the ECU detects too much of a drop that it cannot compensate for by charging, energizing the alternator, these errors occur in sequence. That's why the handbrake also works with the hands, but the automatic does not. This is my current school, which cost €200.