C4 Picasso Mk2 2013 onwards Rear brake caliper piston kit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rosanbo
My Cars: CITROEN C4 PICASSO EXCLUSIVE E-HDI 115 AIRDREAM (2013 MK2) (DV6C engine)

C4 Picasso Mk2 2013 onwards Rear brake caliper piston kit

Post by Rosanbo »

Hi everyone.

I use this as a note to myself which I can come back and see what I did before. but there is a question below.

Changed the discs and pads 18 months ago
viewtopic.php?t=59968

The rear left started grinding last week (no previous screech from the wear indicator not that I heard anyway). So I bought pads for this weekend:
£27 Eicher from EuroCarParts. They were £25.70 from other factors "ate"? brand in stock. and £24 Duratec out of stock. I went with ECP for the convenience and the other factors was further away.

Immediate problem was the wheel would not come off - had this happen before about 2 years ago. Had to drop it off the jack and loosen the bolts 2 turns - go for a drive, I got it loose a bit, jacked it up again and still would not come off. Had to hit it a lot to get it off, (note to self) next time remember to loosen the bolts about 4 turns before driving it loose.

Finally wheel off, had to turn off the parking brake (see link above).

Removed the motor

Undid the caliper guide pin bolts. Caliper off 2nd problem piston rubber seal big hole in it... oh dear.

outer pad worn out, inner pad uneven wear top to bottom and 2/3 worn.

rewound piston (see link above).

Cocked up rewinding of piston... turned motor drive screw on piston anticlockwise did not notice that this pushes the piston out... noticed too late when piston started to leak brake fluid. Re engaged piston drive screw and wound in again by turning drive screw clockwise and pushing on piston with clamp.

Fitting outer pad did not fit except with a lot of effort & hammer.
decided to also change inner (I was going to leave it and only change the outer pad - as I was going to have to come back to this soon with a new caliper/piston.) But because piston was fully retracted now, I decided might as well change inner pad. Knocked it out with hammer / screwdriver

Fitting inner pad equally impossible, tried it without wear springs, still no..!, tried it backwards - yes easily went in. means the height of the pad is not the problem, must be the shoulder just below foot tabs, took a file and filed away the higher point on both ends until it fitted easily. Then fitted springs, and with a bit more effort was good to go. Decided to remove outer pad and do the same.

Refitted caliper, reconnected battery and started car, engaged parking brake, strange "Key not present" message on dash when trying to turn off car but it does turn off and restart, but continued to give message. Not sure if it is gone now.

Checked caliper for leaks, bleed screw heavily corroded -need new one- brake pedal soft. Bled the brakes to get rid of air in pipe. topped up reservoir. bleed screw holding up - but only just. Brake pedal hard. Job done.

refit wheel very tight, like getting it off was. I did wire brush the hub, but not done the wheel inner as I didn't have a wire wheel on a drill. Note to self need wire wheel 70 - 75mm.

Went for test drive brakes ok.

RESPONSES INVITED BELOW

The caliper is part No. AE777006 google that you will see it.

Refurbished: looks good. Small print says the otem costs £200, you get £80 refund when they receive your old caliper.
ebay UK £120 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113663389301

used: No Way Jose, you're having a laugh. look at the state of them. How Much?!
ebay UK £77 from Ireland,
£110 ted4parts,
Euro 110 or Euro 190 from Spain.

New(?): £200 from Lithuania https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113901197036
pity you can't get them cheaper without the motor. I wonder if they really are new or refurbished? The picture shows they have the No AE777006 on the casting...I'd say this indicates they are refurbed.

Brake seals kit £10
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312837074974

Piston kit £25
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184023365464

Don't know Citroen price or if they do a seals kit or a piston kit.

No reason to think the piston needs replaced, it looked shiny enough. Might just go for a seals kit.

Anyone done seals before ? Easy enough ? How do you do it? Probably clamp the brake hose first. I will need a clamp. The annoying thing is the bleed screw comes with the piston kit.

Anyone know where I can get a bleed screw? I think it was 8mm spanner size but not sure, only 7mm fits now.

Stats
Mileage:
Rear left disc thickness currently 11.5 mm
New: 12mm
Minimum: 10mm
Disc ⌀: Front 283mm, Rear 268mm