bad connection near ECU

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

craqck pot
My Cars: citroen picasso xsara 08 (1.6 derv)

bad connection near ECU

Post by craqck pot »

Hi there
I have a Citroen Picasso xsara 08
From time to time I have turned the key to start the engine and the starter motor clicks then there is a complete loss of power everywhere.

In the top right hand corner of the engine bay there is the fuses box; then next to that there is a strange looking plastic box that bolts to the gear box. On that strange plastic box to the right of it the ECU is located with several unknown electrical devices. On the other side of the box there is a wiring clamp where 2 big black wires join on a wire crimp terminal and a thinish black wire too that goes off to the ECU and other unknown electrical devices. I have unscrewed the thinish black wire and wiggled it around and I hear clicking noises coming from the ECU and other unknown devices, then I screw it back on and that seams to do the trick!

But I have examined the wire and it is clean and unbroken so I don't know why this bad connection is happening
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: bad connection near ECU

Post by xantia_v6 »

The symptoms you describe are classic of a dirty battery terminal or a battery cable with a failed connector joint, or a battery with a failed internal weld.

You really need to get a volt meter and when everything is blacked out, measure the voltages around the main feed to see where the power is disappearing.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Second that. If the car has the original PSA lead (Pb) lump battery connectors, it's worth replacing them with new brass ones.

The originals deteriorate internally over the years, and lose their grip on the stranded cable, making a poor connection. If either battery terminal gets at all warm after trying to crank, that is a giveaway for a poor connection there.
Chris
lcwin
My Cars: citroen xantia, C5

Post by lcwin »

Try to start car by putting ignition switch to ON and use a wire to activate the starter solenoid. Its probably the ignition Switch contacts oxidized
craqck pot

Post by craqck pot »

white exec wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 09:34 Second that. If the car has the original PSA lead (Pb) lump battery connectors, it's worth replacing them with new brass ones.
The battery is under the passengers seat with clamp type terminals
craqck pot

Post by craqck pot »

lcwin wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 15:12 Try to start car by putting ignition switch to ON and use a wire to activate the starter solenoid. Its probably the ignition Switch contacts oxidized
But the problem is in the engne bay not the ignition switch
lcwin

Post by lcwin »

PSA group cars have low quality electrical connectors and joints. Since you think its the blk wire then clean with contact cleaner and fine sandpaper at the point of contact and connect back the battery .
Your starting issue is usually due to what I describe earlier.
craqck pot

Post by craqck pot »

so what are you saying; I should jump the solinoid on the starter motor to see if it turns or not?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

On the earlier Xantias there was a design problem whereby the ignition switch would, over time, burn out because Citroen was putting too high an amperage through it to trigger the solenoid on the starter motor. A common fix (which, I believe, Citroen adopted for the later series Xantia) was to fit a heavy duty relay into the circuit. The ignition key closed the circuit for the relay, which in turn then closed the circuit for the starter motor solenoid and this would then spin up the starter motor.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

I think that the car in this case already has a starter solenoid relay in the BSM, which is controlled by the engine ECU, not directly by the ignition switch, so adding an extra relay is not going to help.

What is needed is diagnosis by reading any fault codes, although they are unlikely to be definitive in this case, and/or measuring the voltages around the BSM.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Can you post a pic of what you are talking about? I think that is the +ve post on this car where the wire from the battery connects onto the +ves in the engine bay?
Richard W
lcwin

Post by lcwin »

craqck pot wrote: 11 Nov 2019, 00:33 so what are you saying; I should jump the solinoid on the starter motor to see if it turns or not?
When you encounter the problem of not starting , turn the key to ON and use a jumper wire from positve battery to starter solenoid and see if it starts. Thats all it takes to verify if the contacts in the start key is having problem.
lcwin

Post by lcwin »

And yes it also can be due to the starting relay as mention by xantia v6.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

The first post says that the failure leads to a complete loss of power everywhere, so the fault is not in the starter control circuit or relay, it is in a high current supply circuit, or around one of the fuse boxes. It needs diagnosing with a voltmeter.
craqck pot

Post by craqck pot »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 11 Nov 2019, 06:16 On the earlier Xantias there was a design problem whereby the ignition switch would, over time, burn out because Citroen was putting too high an amperage through it to trigger the solenoid on the starter motor. A common fix (which, I believe, Citroen adopted for the later series Xantia) was to fit a heavy duty relay into the circuit. The ignition key closed the circuit for the relay, which in turn then closed the circuit for the starter motor solenoid and this would then spin up the starter motor.
Mine is an 08 modal. do you think this is one of the earler ones in question or not?