Heater Blower Xsara Picasso

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Subsonicnat
My Cars: Xsara picasso exclusive 2.0 hdi MPV 2004

Heater Blower Xsara Picasso

Post by Subsonicnat »

evening all,
my heater blower was replaced about 14 months back,Seemed to work for a while,,and the only when I wiggled the connector on the top of blower has about 5/6 wires running to it,,,not the connector that provides main power to the blower..
does seem to Run on high for a while ,,,but one of the wires seems to get rather warm.
which does point to the said connector not having a good solid contact,,, but when running on High then turned down,, it doesn't want to run even on high...is this making sense.?...... I did replace the Blower complete ..
Surely the Resistor should last longer than 14 months or so it was New, Ok, Bought off the Bay and wasn't that expensive about £35.00..
Have ordered another Resistor to fit the blower ,,As it Does point to it being that.
Any thoughts or previous problems with the same blower appreciated..
One more thing while I am here:::::
if my knee Contacts the key on the column,,, The engine cuts out,,, Very unpleasant when doing 70 miles an hour,with some idiot up my boot,yes it happened on the A14.
it has done it when getting in the car in the morning, getting myself comfortable putting the seat belt on,, I think its very Dangerous myself..
Why Would it Do that ???.
Thoughts again please,I want to sort that one,Driving me mad worrying it might happen when driving fast again..

;
Subsonicnat

Re: Heater Blower Xsara Picasso

Post by Subsonicnat »

No Replys,not even guess's lol.
Surprised Marc hasn't come back, any chance of looking in your magic box of tricks Marc.
Thanks, Colin.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Must of missed your first post Colin.

Both your problems can be put down to the ignition switch. The fan can stop and start whilst wiggling the key - and this can also cut the power.

Have a look at this video that shows how to replace it. A tip / warning - NEVER load your car key fob up with stacks of keys, charms and gizmos - the weight of these swishing when the car is moving about weakens the ignition barrel internals leading to this problem. Only keep your fob and one or 2 keys on the fob ring.

Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Subsonicnat

Post by Subsonicnat »

hi Marc, Thank you for speedy reply,
It was the Connector to the heater blower not making a good Contact.
it had burned one of the wide blades on the Connector,I used to wiggle it into Position andit would run for as long as it liked,Triedto buy the Connector,which onlyhas 4 connections,the connector I Recoeved had 5 connectionsand wouldn't fir the blower connector.
My probem was it was mentioning a Blue and Brown wire in the manual,
Minehas 2 black: 2 reds : and white wire which I figuered was t he REsistor wire or Signal/
In youf magic box you so often go into, much to the greatfull punters on here I might add , Be able tofind my wiring for the xsara picasso exclusive 2004.
I did give you my Vin number some time back, I wonered ifyou would be kind enough to research thismodel,,,it's very confuseng to say the least,as it has Air Con it sort of muddies the water somewhat.
I did change the Barrel about 18 months back, Wether it wil have fixed it,only time will tell,I onlyhave the transponder key + the spare and house key..
So, maybe the loose connection was to blame as said I have no idea, knocking the keys doesn't seem tomake any difference,,But done that befor and it eneded up doig it at the wrong time.. Thanks in Advance colin.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'll take a look for you shortly - we're battoning down the hatches for some hill snow after clearning out the supermarkets this morning! Back home and roasty toasty now.

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so first of all I suspect you may have ordered an incorrect part - that your vehicle does not have:
Subs Incorrect Part.PNG
This is not for your vehicle - it has a 5 pin connector.

This is the parts for your Picasso - I have marked on it the parts you do have and those with crosses the ones you don't - as you can see the photo above is part 9 that you don't have.
Subs Diagram.PNG
The resistor you have is the type that is built onto the blower motor itself and is not shown as a separate part by Citroen - although we know you can get these from aftermarket sellers - either the coin type transistors, or you can replace the whole module. But be warned a lot of the cheap jobbies on the market are dead on arrival and do not work! You can order just the transistors, drill out the rivets and solder on the new resistors.

There's a full video on doing the job here:

So I wouldn't worry about the wiring at the moment - I suspect it is the transistors as there is not a separate blower control motor.

This problem is caused by not changing the pollen filter regularly enough - the road grime, oil, dead bugs and other crud builds up and restricts the air flow, which causes overheating and eventual failure.

I've had PSA cars all my life and never once had to replace this on any of them - but I do replace all the pollen filters no later than every 2 years as I like to make sure I'm breathing half decent air , such as there is any!

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

On some of the older blowers it was vital that the transistors were a matched pair from the same batch.
May not apply here but if possible may be better to try and use matched transistors.
Subsonicnat

Post by Subsonicnat »

Hi, Marc,and Mcglaren for the input..
The youtube type that is shown in the video, wikk not fit on mine, I sent it back..
will try tofind the one fitted to my blower... and put a picture of it up,if I .can remember how to do that.lol.
The same blower is fitted in the Peugeot 206 cc car, And I believe the 207/307 model.
it has Two connections ,not one as a lot of the Picassos have..
Mine has 5 wires + tthe M
My Resistor type
My Resistor type
ain feed wires /Black and Red...
because it has air con and Full blow on the ac side foe demisting when cold and misted up.
The wiring and connecter all point to it being the right one.
the video resistor is only for the standard connector two wires only..Black/Red.
Hope this makes sense.lol.
as said if you can remind me how to post pctures .. Ahhh,,Found it in the editor.lol
Colin.
Attachments
My resistor type  (1)
My resistor type (1)
My resistor type  (2)
My resistor type (2)
Subsonicnat

Post by Subsonicnat »

Hi Forgot . Thank you forgot to add pollen filter changed 12 months ago, New one put in.
Colin.
Subsonicnat

Post by Subsonicnat »

Hi this is the Blower motor in mine, ok it is a 206 as stated above but can see the same motor and two connections, Time to View 2min 58.
The Large Resistor is behind the plastic cover at the top of Blower Motor.
2 screws hold it in place,it is Twice the Size of the one shown on the video Marc.

Colin.
Last edited by myglaren on 16 Nov 2019, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube link