C4 1.6hdi 2007...Timing Kit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Doo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2000 Range Rover V8 4.0
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2
2007 Citroen C4 1.6hdi SX
2012 Berlingo Multispace e-hdi XTR (nice drive :-)
2016 Suzuki Burgman AN650 Executive
I miss my Renault 5 Gordini Turbo....

C4 1.6hdi 2007...Timing Kit

Post by Doo »

Hi all, sorry not been around, haven't been feeling the best.

Soon be doing wife's car which is starting to rattle on light throttle and I suspect it's the timing chain tensioner.

I have a DAYCO belt kit, BERU glow plugs and have yet to find a timing chain kit.

Which one is recommended by the forum?

I have done many timing belts in my time, including the 1.6hdi, but never a chain.

Would it be easier to remove the engine& box from the car so access is better while on a bench or should I struggle with it in the engine bay?

I was going to do an oil & filters change and hope the engine will survive the winter and do it in the spring.

Anyway, I figured pulling the engine out and replacing loads of bits before she reaches the 100k mark.

Thoughts??

Thank you. Doo.
Has anyone seen the plot? :?
Doo
(Donor 2022)
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2

Re: C4 1.6hdi 2007...Timing Kit

Post by Doo »

I'm guessing no one has tackled the chain then?

Reason I'm concerned is because my friend had an 06 model with a pronounced rattle which got worse over a couple of months.

He drove the car hard with over 100 mile journey twice a week and it was rarely under 100mph with harsh acceleration.

Anyway, it started off with a quiet clatter which got worse as the weeks progressed until it sounded like all the Dwarven Blacksmith of Svartalfheim working while high on drugs :lol:

When it let go, quite spectacularly by all accounts, the valves were hammered into the head (and pistons) so hard it would have been impossible to remove them! :shock: I saw the aftermath :?

So, while wife's engine is in otherwise good shape, it's on 88k and climbing so I wan't it done because it's a great car. I love the shape of it, those lines, the front end so elegant and functional 8-) It's nowhere near as comfy to drive as my Range Rover, but the handling is awesome. You can chuck it at a corner and it flows through it whereas the Range Rover rolls like a ferry in a storm :-D
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The chain is not a service item, so there won't be a kit as such - I expect you will have to go to the dealer. There have been a couple of threads on here - one where the chain had chewed into the head, and the other where it jumped a tooth during a belt change (do NOT turn the engine backwards!!) causing all sorts of the mayhem. I suspect both were by lighty... The chain is a bit a mare, as you have to remove the upper part of the cam carrier, which involves removing the injectors, which may or may not want to come out! I would only tackle it if you were absolutely sure it was necessary. The chain is available from Citroen, with the tensioner, for£118 - part no 816J1 (for a 110 HDi - post up the VIN to check this is the right number!)

Edit - quite a few kits on ebay around £75 - 80 against that part no.
Richard W
Doo
(Donor 2022)
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2

Post by Doo »

RichardW wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 20:59 The chain is not a service item, so there won't be a kit as such - I expect you will have to go to the dealer. There have been a couple of threads on here - one where the chain had chewed into the head, and the other where it jumped a tooth during a belt change (do NOT turn the engine backwards!!) causing all sorts of the mayhem. I suspect both were by lighty... The chain is a bit a mare, as you have to remove the upper part of the cam carrier, which involves removing the injectors, which may or may not want to come out! I would only tackle it if you were absolutely sure it was necessary. The chain is available from Citroen, with the tensioner, for£118 - part no 816J1 (for a 110 HDi - post up the VIN to check this is the right number!)

Edit - quite a few kits on ebay around £75 - 80 against that part no.
Thank you for that. So I may be just as well to pull the engine and do a full rebuild then. I'll do the clutch while I'm at it.

Looks like next year going to be busy :-D