2005 C3 rear shox replacement come to a halt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

C3Pre Own
My Cars: Citroen C3
Citroen Berlingo
Saab 9-3 convertible

2005 C3 rear shox replacement come to a halt

Post by C3Pre Own »

Looked like an easy job but unlike the car featured in the Haynes manual, the handbrake cable is in the way of pulling the lower mount off the bolt. I found a Monroe shock absorbers video on youtube in which the bolt was removed to free the shock. That's clearly my way forward but everything seems to be seized/rusted on. Penetrating oil is doing nothing so, before I go at it with heat, can anyone tell me if the bolt is screwed into the suspension arm or is it just slid in & secured with the locknut that holds the shock absorber bush on. The locknut is off but there is no movement of the bolt either by hammering from the outer side or by putting a long breaker bar on the hex end & applying serious rotational force. The shock absorber bush seems to be rusted onto it too - no movement of that either! I just need to know how the bolt goes in so I can apply the correct type of force.

It would also be handy to know the best place to apply the heat!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: 2005 C3 rear shox replacement come to a halt

Post by RichardW »

I doubt the bolt is threaded into the arm or the shock - the joys of salty Scottish roads! I doubt that you will be able to get enough heat into the suspension arm to do any good, but you never know. You may end up having to cut through the back of the shock mount to free the shock, and which will then give you unfettered access to get some penetrant onto the actual bolt.
Richard W