Xantia throttle body preheater unit question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ksanturion10
My Cars: Xantia Estate X1 1.8i, 16v

Xantia throttle body preheater unit question

Post by ksanturion10 »

Greetings all,
I would like to ask about this little fella,
PreheaterUnitXantia.jpg
When heated to around 80-100 deg C, it falls down to around 5-6 Ohms.
This is OK or should I replace it. It has common connection to gearbox mass together with the Oxygen sensor heater.

BR
Martin
Only himself the stupid makes wrong, many are being confused by the clever :P
ksanturion10

Re: Xantia throttle body preheater unit question

Post by ksanturion10 »

I'm sure there are many petrol engines, that use this preheater.
It would be of great help if someone takes measurements, while it is sitting onto the throttle body.
I'm looking after a measurement consisting of throttle body temperature + preheater resistance.
Most multimeters, like the one show on the picture, have temperature probe, with which you can check more precisely the area around the preheater.
I know, that actually the current feed to the preheater makes it create heat, but still the resistance is temperature dependent.
So, a combined measurements with engine "cold" before start, and another one after the fans cut-in after engine shut-off, would be enough.
Actually, this thing has its outer brass part connected to one of the pins - think it was conn to earth gearbox, but have to check this. The other one is "+" after the double relay. So maybe it will be more safer to do it, if someone is inclined, like I did on the picture, measurements with the preheater removed and heated externaly with a cigarret lighter. Not sure if when mounted onto the throttle body assembly, the resistance measurments could in some way interfere with the idle stepper motor?

BR
Martin
ksanturion10

Re: Xantia throttle body preheater unit question

Post by ksanturion10 »

Actually, this thing must have PTC element inside. So, when fed with current it actually rises its temperature and electrical resistance. I've checked it after the first cut-out of the fans, by switching off the engine and removing the plug, and it showed around 30 Ohms. For me its very strange how it can act as NTC, when heated from outer source, and as PTC, when self heated through current?!
Still, I would appreciate any similar measurements by someone with the same heater :)

BR
Martin