Parcel Force Ugh!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Parcel Force Ugh!

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I put some of my old tools on Ebay, noted one of them was sold...…...to a guy in Germany, he asked for the postage cost £11.99 Parcel Force drop off at the post office round the corner, simple.

So I tried to book it, got all through the form filling, getting the German address into the silly fixed but obligatory boxes was a struggle, then it won't accept the order without the recipient's mobile phone number, messaged him and got that ok.

Printed the labels off and parcelled it all up popped into the post office this morning, the clerk cannot send it because the system keeps telling him that the bar code is not valid. :evil:

There's a queue of ladies waiting behind me so I told him to put it aside serve the ladies and I'll call in later to see if he's managed to get it away.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Parcel Force Ugh!

Post by white exec »

Lovely. Correos (national postal service) just works seamlessly here across Europe, with the same tracking number operating internationally, including UK Parcelforce/Royal Mail, and in both directions.
Expect worse to follow, though, as the UK sets itself adrift.
Chris
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Just popped round the post office again and it's on its way, I have a feeling that the 'new boy' there needed time to work out how to send it.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you think that The Royal Mail/Parcel Force are incompetent try this as a serious example.

One of my Brothers has recently started his own business teaching a medieval style of Italian sword fighting known as HEMA (he is very good in this style, being (at the very least) within the top 50 in the World). One of the services he offers is the option to purchase related equipment (armour including the gauntlets, and swords, and so on). He had sourced reliable manufacturers from around the World, and set up a business account with The Royal Mail/Parcel Force. He took orders from some of his customers, placed his orders with one of his suppliers (this one was in Russia), and waited. He was told that his order had not only been dispatched, but had been received by The Royal Mail. Nothing happened for a few days, so he contacted his account manager to find out what was going on. He did not get a meaningful answer, so he tried again. After a few days he could no longer get hold of his account manager by phone, and was told to communicate via email. This did not really help.

He then found out that two departments could not work out who should send out the invoice, and started batting the problem back and forth between themselves. Eventually (without contacting my Brother) they returned his order to the supplier. He has now got to explain to his customers what has happened and what he is going to do about it. Because of the incompetence of The Royal Mail/Parcel Force this could cause his fledgling business to fail, but there is no way to get recompense from The Royal Mail (there does not appear to be any ombudsman who controls them), and their contract seems to say that they cannot guarantee to deliver your goods; merely that they will try to do so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historica ... rtial_arts

James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

That is seriously incompetent.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Post-Brexit, presumably any post to EU states will require a customs declaration, for the moment you don't even need to go to a PO, if it'll go in a pillar box.

It's the US mail that wants lots of info about - the sender, including their zip code, which makes it tricky for visitors.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, Yodel have got my goat this time. 2 weeks ago I ordered a present for a friend through Amazon. I was told it would be delivered on 26th October. I let my Landlord know, and (as it was a quiet working day) I was also at home for a large part of the day. No sign of my item. When I chased it up I was told by the seller that Yodel had been told I had moved! By whom, may I ask? I have lived here for over 10 years, there were people at home waiting to receive the item, and NO SIGN OF YODEL!!! I knew they were not good, but that item of male bovine excrement really is beyond even them.

The seller is (as the original item was returned) sending out another present, but it has already missed my friends' birthday. Let us see what excuse Yodel come up with THIS time!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Jonxsara
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Citroen Xsara sx
Vauxhall Signum cdi

Post by Jonxsara »

Use DPD
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The courier is chosen by the seller, not the buyer.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I'm just grateful that we've got our regular couriers well trained here these days - they know when someone will be in here so try to time deliveries that require a signature accordingly. I did have one once who claimed that there was no answer at the door, which I found a little odd as he would have had to have stepped over my legs to get to the door as I was working under the car on the driveway at the time.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

How can you have regular couriers, much less, have them trained, when, as James said, they're chosen by the seller?

They are all universally, totally useless & why people don't just continue to pop things in the post is completely beyond me.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

We have the same Hermes, Dpd. Dhl and parcel force drivers nearly all the time so I'd call them regular, however I do do a fair amount of online trading so usually see all of them over the course of a week. None are particulatly better in my experience but parcel force are definitely the poorest in terms of courtesy and efficiency!
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Not long ago, when I was helping out at a client, we started to come up with alternative names for couriers (but using their own initials). I am NOT saying that these names are correct, but they helped relieve the boredom. Here are a few, but you could always try to come up with some for yourselves.

ANC; Another Nasty Courier.
APC; Another Pathetic Courier.
DHL; Desperately, Hopelessly Lost.
DPD; Dropped it, Pinched it, Denied it.
FedEx; Felon Employs Devious EXploits.
UPS; Usually Pinches Stuff.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 03 Nov 2019, 05:54, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Have to say in their defence that as I am unable to use most conventional shops, I buy lots of stuff online and have deliveries through all the usual couriers including Royal Mail.
They are all OK, no problems with any of them.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

myglaren wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 22:01 Have to say in their defence that as I am unable to use most conventional shops, I buy lots of stuff online and have deliveries through all the usual couriers including Royal Mail.
They are all OK, no problems with any of them.
Same here, though Hermes can occasionally be "challenging".