C4 DiagBox Findings

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Doo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2000 Range Rover V8 4.0
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2
2007 Citroen C4 1.6hdi SX
2012 Berlingo Multispace e-hdi XTR (nice drive :-)
2016 Suzuki Burgman AN650 Executive
I miss my Renault 5 Gordini Turbo....

C4 DiagBox Findings

Post by Doo »

OK chaps, the DiagBox was well worth the money and the 300 Yr install :-D

Faults found appear thus :

C1320 FL wheel speed sensor fault
(this was replaced a couple of years ago due to a CV boot coming apart and ripping the wires off... Never experienced this before ever)

C1385 Electrovalves supply voltage fault
(supply voltage does appear to be reaching the plug to the ABS pump so perhaps a bad solar connection inside the pump circuit board)

C1381 Fault : recirculation pump supply.
(again, there is voltage going down several wires as I tested with my digital test meter)

So, I seem to recall testing and finding 12v at the supply plug at the ABS pump, Therefore I assume the pump is shot!

What normally happens, circuit board connection issues (bad solder) or the like? As stated, I'm fairly sure the wires are OK, but stand to be corrected.

It's peeing down at present so I'm going to leave the physical checks until tomorrow. Is there a way to find if the wiring is faulty using the DiagBox?

Thanks all... Love this Lexia because it found what other code readers didn't 8-)
Has anyone seen the plot? :?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C4 DiagBox Findings

Post by GiveMeABreak »

C1320: Front LH wheel speed sensor signal fault:- Will be an open circuit, short circuit to positive or short circuit to earth.

So this will put the ABS into downgrade mode (EBD) and speed control functions like cruise and limiter.

Suspect areas: Connectors, Electrical harness or Front left wheel speed sensor.

C1385: Solenoid valves supply voltage fault: Not characterised
The time for recording the fault code is 50 milliseconds after activation of the solenoid valves relay test. The solenoid valves relay test is carried out after each initialisation of the ABS ECU and then every 20 seconds. Problem on the solenoid valves supply relay supply line (Open circuit, short circuit to positive, short circuit to earth).

Suspect Areas: Incorrect battery voltage, Fuses, Connectors, Electrical harness.

C1381: Recirculation pump supply fault: Open circuit, short circuit to positive, short circuit to earth.

The test on the power supply of the pump is carried out every 20 seconds and after initialisation of the ABS ECU. Electrical fault in the pump (Open circuit, short circuit to positive, short circuit to earth - Fault in the relay or in the fuse).

Suspect: Battery voltage, Fuses, Connectors - Screwed terminal or Electrical harness
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Have you tried clearing the faults to see which ones come back?
Doo
(Donor 2022)
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2

Post by Doo »

xantia_v6 wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 19:59 Have you tried clearing the faults to see which ones come back?
Didn't get that far, but not sure where in DiagBox the erase faults button is....yet! :)
Doo
(Donor 2022)
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2

Post by Doo »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 19:51 C1320: Front LH wheel speed sensor signal fault:- Will be an open circuit, short circuit to positive or short circuit to earth.

So this will put the ABS into downgrade mode (EBD) and speed control functions like cruise and limiter.

Suspect areas: Connectors, Electrical harness or Front left wheel speed sensor.

C1385: Solenoid valves supply voltage fault: Not characterised
The time for recording the fault code is 50 milliseconds after activation of the solenoid valves relay test. The solenoid valves relay test is carried out after each initialisation of the ABS ECU and then every 20 seconds. Problem on the solenoid valves supply relay supply line (Open circuit, short circuit to positive, short circuit to earth).

Suspect Areas: Incorrect battery voltage, Fuses, Connectors, Electrical harness.

C1381: Recirculation pump supply fault: Open circuit, short circuit to positive, short circuit to earth.

The test on the power supply of the pump is carried out every 20 seconds and after initialisation of the ABS ECU. Electrical fault in the pump (Open circuit, short circuit to positive, short circuit to earth - Fault in the relay or in the fuse).

Suspect: Battery voltage, Fuses, Connectors - Screwed terminal or Electrical harness
When I was under the car a couple of weeks back, I found no issues with the sensor or it's wiring so could be a dead sensor (or perhaps the reluctor ring).

The rest, battery checks out as did the new battery I substituted. Swapped the BSM for a known working one after having checked individual fuses, the fault was still present.

So we could be left with a relay fault (although when I tested it it was fully functioning) or the actual pump itself. I suspect 1381 & 1385 may be linked because if the pump isn't getting full 12v then it stands to reason that the solenoids, which also need 12v, would suffer...

Am I missing the wood for the tree's? #-o

I'm still super impressed with the Lexia though 8-)
Doo
(Donor 2022)
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2

Post by Doo »

OK, stay with me chaps, but I am about to ask a proper nooby question :-D

When I start the application, I get the choice of DiagBox or Lexia... I 1st pressed Lexia and couldn't figure it out so ended the session (had to switch off & restart computer) then pressed the DiagBox bar and all went well.

May I ask for some help & advice?

I am going out later to read the ABS system again and wish to erase the fault codes to see if they come back immediately. Reason being, I stripped the front of the car to see if I could find any broken or chafed wires (I did not) and wonder if I may have started the car with one or more plugs undone which would have generated extra codes.

So how do I erase them as I couldn't see how?! It wasn't immediately obvious, but then I was only mooching around the system last night for the 1st time.

I'm trying to do several things at once and my heads busted so a gentle prod will benefit me greatly...

Thank you :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

When you launch Diagbox, once the vehicle type is selected it will launch Diagbox or if the car is older give you a choice of Lexia or 'Scan Tool'. Just select Lexia - but beware it can launch he application behind the Diagbox menu window, so you may not immediately see it - look for the orange / red icon on the taskbar to get it to the front.

Back to the fault codes - don't forget you can't erase fault codes if the fault is still there. Many systems self-check at ignition on / startup and if they detect a fault (like in the ABS) it will throw the warning up and the fault will remain. So you can only clear temporary intermittent faults, or faults that are no longer being triggered.

If the fault (after reading it) cannot be erased after reading it, then in all likelihood it is still being triggered.

Marc
Doo
(Donor 2022)
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2

Post by Doo »

Ahh yes, I understand present codes can't be erased... I mean newby to Lexia :oops:

I will get the hang of it, but thought I'd ask those who've used it plenty.

So I erased the ABS codes (3 of) and was left with the LF sensor fault. I will of course look and see what may be causing it. Funny how that sensor is barely 2yrs old #-o

Anyhoo, I guess the valve & motor fault may have been caused by me poking, prodding and pulling plugs (which I fully expected), but the sensor fault is surprising...

So the other issues. I also deleted the only BSI fault and discovered several gearbox and injector faults. Now I know the injector faults (EGR and glow plug issues) are causing some of the codes and I can deal with them because I caused some of them by unplugging such as P0561.

But I "am" confused by the U1213 code seeing as how the car doesn't have an electric handbrake (namely Fault in the information transmitted by the ABS/ESP or FSE ((Electric Parking Brake)) ECU). I can only assume this is a glitch perhaps caused by all the other issues... Seems a tad strange though #-o

I have P0401 Air circuit which I assume is part of the EGR system fault.

Anyway, I am delighted with the whole thing after waiting months trying different code readers and it turns out to be a simple fault after all :roll:

After this, the next fun will be a new cam chain kit as it is just starting to rattle as you lift off. Wife cant hear it but I can so in the next couple of months I'll get that done.

It's all good 8-)
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 30 Sep 2019, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need to quote previous post - thanks
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

In a vehicle so-equipped, it is the ABS/ESP EVU that controls the electronic parking brake ECU. So that would be related in a car with this system. Bear in mind that U codes tend to be specifically related to Electronic control units and their meaning can change depending on the car and system.

Sounds like you are having fun anyway, if any issues, just post away.

Marc
Doo
(Donor 2022)
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2

Post by Doo »

DB told me the ABS issue was the front left sensor, bought a new one and tested the old one for the hell of it. The impedance was miserable so in wen the new one and the car was all happy again.

I can't say enough great things about this system =D> =D> =D> =D>

I knew the car needed a run so took it out and as I went round the roundabout I saw plumes of grey smoke following me #-o

I accelerated onto the A9 filter road, set sport mode and hoofed it. She seemed reluctant then a third of the way up Drumossie Brae, the service light came on and the speed just dribbled away :shock:

I pulled into the layby, let her idle a minute, switched off & back on and all was well. Almost put a dent in the floor with my foot it was so hard down, but the car just got better & better.

Italian tune up completed, I took it home.

Next job is glow plugs and/or relay timer followed by oil & filters before winter.

But thank you all for your help and to Jim at EasyDiagnostics for the brilliant bit of kit. I am already getting interest from a mate \:D/

I'll be back 8-)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Although not infallible, they can cut the guesswork and unnecessary expense out of a lot of issues. Glad you are getting your use out of it.

Marc