Starter motor compatibility query...

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Posts: 1990
Joined: 19 Jan 2015, 17:42
x 261

Starter motor compatibility query...

Unread post by ekjdm14 »

Hi all, just a quick question about XU starter motors. Would the starter from an XUD9 diesel also fit/be compatible with a petrol equivalent?

The reason I ask is, I'm doing some research into a local abandoned 405 Mi16 with a view to rescuing the car & so far I've ascertained that the engine is not seized but the starter is not in a good way, it'd make things a lot simpler if I could borrow the starter from our Black Xantia to get the thing cranking the way it should. (slower/torquier is fine if not preferable, not going for a start up just looking to use the starter to help encourage it out of the grave it's sunk into the last 15 years.)

Hopefully it'll be the same item though, seems sensible that it would be.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 29k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD, White, 88k
'98 306 1.9D, Cherry Red, 180?k
'05 "Fraud Fuco" Focus stopgap/beater
'12 Mini freebie project
User avatar
GiveMeABreak
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 41989
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 6945

Re: Starter motor compatibility query...

Unread post by GiveMeABreak »

I doubt it - the 405 petrol are class 3 starters and the Xantia XU diesels are Class 5
Please note, I'm no longer active on the Forum, so won't respond to messages.

Marc
User avatar
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
Posts: 1168
Joined: 22 Apr 2013, 17:24
x 228

Re: Starter motor compatibility query...

Unread post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

just a mention that I'm aware of an Mi16 thats potentially for sale. Series 2, on an 'L', in grey. Been sat for many years, inside until about 3 years ago. About 150miles from you with engine known to be stripped and probably incomplete. Can ask a question if you like. Unsure of value, but I suggested to the owner recently that its worth 800 ish.
Puxa
405chap101
Posts: 29
Joined: 25 May 2019, 22:56
x 3

Re: Starter motor compatibility query...

Unread post by 405chap101 »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 11:41 just a mention that I'm aware of an Mi16 thats potentially for sale. Series 2, on an 'L', in grey. Been sat for many years, inside until about 3 years ago. About 150miles from you with engine known to be stripped and probably incomplete. Can ask a question if you like. Unsure of value, but I suggested to the owner recently that its worth 800 ish.
To be honest I never knew they made phase 2 MI16s. Latest I've seen is a '90 on a G plate