2009 Grand Picasso wont lock

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ldare2000

2009 Grand Picasso wont lock

Post by ldare2000 »

Hi
Ive bought recently a C4 Grand Picasso and just discovered it doesn't lock. If I press the button on the fob the indicators flash. If I use the key in a door only that door locks and if I press the lock button inside the red led lights but someone outside can still open. Any ideas?

Kind Regards
Louis
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: 2009 Grand Picasso wont lock

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Pop your VIN up so I know exactly what kit you have.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
ldare2000

Post by ldare2000 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 22:24 Pop your VIN up so I know exactly what kit you have.
Hi Mate
VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Cheers
Louis
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It suggests to me that one (or more) door locks are not reporting their status to the system (whether they are locked or not). This can be down to a number of reasons, including failed wiring (I had this happen on a Xantia; the wiring in the door concertina tubing had failed) or a lock micro-switch not working, or a failed switch plunger pin (I have also had this on the tailgate of a Xantia). I don't know if the Lexia system can 'see' the status of the door locks, but if it can there are forum members who have Lexia equipment and are willing to help. The following link will show you the members who have this kit. Please be advised that some have 'gone quiet' and may not respond;

viewtopic.php?t=56452
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

ldare2000 wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 08:31
GiveMeABreak wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 22:24 Pop your VIN up so I know exactly what kit you have.
Hi Mate
VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Cheers
Louis
Leave it with me - while I take a look.

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'm suspecting battery and or fob battery.

How old is the car battery?

Try a reset first (follow it exactly), this also includes the key fob resychronisation element within the procedure.

BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure

Failing this, you'll need to get a diagnostic with a Lexia ideally. There are actuator tests that can be done on the door actuators to rule those out - but it should provide some info on what's going on.

Marc
ldare2000

Post by ldare2000 »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 08:46 It suggests to me that one (or more) door locks are not reporting their status to the system (whether they are locked or not). This can be down to a number of reasons, including failed wiring (I had this happen on a Xantia; the wiring in the door concertina tubing had failed) or a lock micro-switch not working, or a failed switch plunger pin (I have also had this on the tailgate of a Xantia). I don't know if the Lexia system can 'see' the status of the door locks, but if it can there are forum members who have Lexia equipment and are willing to help. The following link will show you the members who have this kit. Please be advised that some have 'gone quiet' and may not respond;

viewtopic.php?t=56452
Hi
Thanks I will do some research.

I don't think my C4 Grand Picasso has door pins. If it did I'd put in an aftermarket central locking kit of ebay. Without pins I can't work out how I can lock the car at all at the moment? In the old days youd push the pins down and lock the drivers door by key but I do think that's an option now?

Kind Regards
Louis
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

One other point - as you are a new owner....

The key fob has 2 functions - pressing the unlock button once unlocks the driver's door only. Pressing it a second time unlocks the rest of the vehicle. Each opening mode is signalled by rapid flashing of the indicators - this is normal.

If you have pressed the locking button in the car - that unlocks the doors - pressing it again locks the doors. So I think an hour or 2 with the owner's handbook might also help.

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Most modern day cars have the switches built into the lock mechanism, so no pins. What could be worth a try is to see what happens to the interior lights when you open/close individual doors (as these same switches may trigger them). If you find a door that does not cause the lights to work (either coming on or going off) it would suggest that door is the culprit.

Using the Xantia S2 as an example (I know we are dealing with a C4 GP) there are three micro switches in the front door locks, and one in the rear door locks. One switch (in the front, and the only switch in the back) indicates whether the door is open or closed (and this is the most likely one for your problem), and, I believe, also triggers the interior lights, another switch monitors the barrel lock, and the third monitors the interior lock button.

The BSi reset can clear any glitches, but if there is an actual problem the reset won't resolve it.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
ldare2000

Post by ldare2000 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 10:25 One other point - as you are a new owner....

The key fob has 2 functions - pressing the unlock button once unlocks the driver's door only. Pressing it a second time unlocks the rest of the vehicle. Each opening mode is signalled by rapid flashing of the indicators - this is normal.

If you have pressed the locking button in the car - that unlocks the doors - pressing it again locks the doors. So I think an hour or 2 with the owner's handbook might also help.
Don't think you read my question mate?
Doo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2000 Range Rover V8 4.0
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2
2007 Citroen C4 1.6hdi SX
2012 Berlingo Multispace e-hdi XTR (nice drive :-)
2016 Suzuki Burgman AN650 Executive
I miss my Renault 5 Gordini Turbo....

Post by Doo »

ldare2000 wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 22:13
GiveMeABreak wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 10:25 One other point - as you are a new owner....

I rather fancy he did read the question, but was offering a "possibility" :wink:

I take it you've checked fuses too?

So the possibilities are a dodgy door lock solenoid or the microswitches that are activated when the solenoid is energised. If the master lock (usually drivers door or the door with a key slot, so in most cases, passenger door) is either not being energised, then it wont instruct the rest of the locks. I am not entirely familiar with this system, but as suggested, it may be both front locks are the "master" lock.

However, I find if my wife's car won't lock, it's because one or both of the rear doors are only latched on the 1st latch so no lockee... If the door has a faulty latch or microswitch, it cant tell the master lock whether or not it's open or closed.

The 1st check to carry out is on the rubber boots that the wires run from the body to the door. These carry power to the lock solenoids, power windows and speakers. Are the windows & speakers working all round? It's a case of ruling stuff out and eventually you'll find the fault.

But someone with a data code reader that can do a live data reading and actuator test is the best bet :)
Has anyone seen the plot? :?
ldare2000

Post by ldare2000 »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 10:37 Most modern day cars have the switches built into the lock mechanism, so no pins. What could be worth a try is to see what happens to the interior lights when you open/close individual doors (as these same switches may trigger them). If you find a door that does not cause the lights to work (either coming on or going off) it would suggest that door is the culprit.

Using the Xantia S2 as an example (I know we are dealing with a C4 GP) there are three micro switches in the front door locks, and one in the rear door locks. One switch (in the front, and the only switch in the back) indicates whether the door is open or closed (and this is the most likely one for your problem), and, I believe, also triggers the interior lights, another switch monitors the barrel lock, and the third monitors the interior lock button.

The BSi reset can clear any glitches, but if there is an actual problem the reset won't resolve it.
Tried a reset but still nothing. The car clearly knows I am pressing the buttons because it flashes back.

Tried all doors one by one and they all triggered the lights.

Noticed a diesel leak near the injectors and also my insurance company wouldn't insure this for some reason. Wish I'd never bought it 😭
ldare2000

Post by ldare2000 »

Doo wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 22:39
ldare2000 wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 22:13

I rather fancy he did read the question, but was offering a "possibility" :wink:

I take it you've checked fuses too?

So the possibilities are a dodgy door lock solenoid or the microswitches that are activated when the solenoid is energised. If the master lock (usually drivers door or the door with a key slot, so in most cases, passenger door) is either not being energised, then it wont instruct the rest of the locks. I am not entirely familiar with this system, but as suggested, it may be both front locks are the "master" lock.

However, I find if my wife's car won't lock, it's because one or both of the rear doors are only latched on the 1st latch so no lockee... If the door has a faulty latch or microswitch, it cant tell the master lock whether or not it's open or closed.

The 1st check to carry out is on the rubber boots that the wires run from the body to the door. These carry power to the lock solenoids, power windows and speakers. Are the windows & speakers working all round? It's a case of ruling stuff out and eventually you'll find the fault.

But someone with a data code reader that can do a live data reading and actuator test is the best bet :)
Just popped out yes windows and speakers in all. doors work. Will try and source a Lexia locally. Thanks for your time so far much appreciated.

Its funny because I had a 2004 Picasso for 3.5 years that had electric problems the day I bought it but they all cured the week before I sold it, it was as if she didn't want to leave me.

Kind Regards
Louis
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes I did read your post - but what you may not understand is that the vehicle locking systems can be set up and configured - and are different depending on options / trim. The buttons can have different locking functions depending on how the system is configured .

There are no master locks on these - all the locking is controlled by the BSI and all switches are contained withing the locking mechanisms themselves. The locking is all dependent upon either the key in the driver's door lock or the fob which in turn requires the transponder to pass the codes to the BSI for authorisation. So important to check the remote fob has a good battery and is synchronised (see my reset procedure linked to which contains this). Make sure nothing is obstructing the tailgate or any of the doors which may prevent locking.

Try an experiment - start the engine and put one or more windows down. Exit the vehicle, close all doors and press the lock button on the fob once, let go and then a second time and hold - it should put up the windows - does this happen and does it lock? If not, is it trying to lock and then rebounding (unlocking again) or does it not make any audible locking sound?

Marc
ldare2000

Post by ldare2000 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 23:41

Try an experiment - start the engine and put one or more windows down. Exit the vehicle, close all doors and press the lock button on the fob once, let go and then a second time and hold - it should put up the windows - does this happen and does it lock? If not, is it trying to lock and then rebounding (unlocking again) or does it not make any audible locking sound?
ah interesting test. tried it twice. no windows would come up. The only sound is that of a clicking in the dash board which I assume is a relay?

Are we thinking one of these (attached) 'could' be the issue?

Kind Regards
Louis
Attachments
Screenshot_20190914-080128.jpg