Xantia Clutch clip

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Xantia Clutch clip

Post by froggy »

Hi my S1 Xantia, well the clutch clip snapped about 5 years ago, my local garage told me the clutch was "heavy", so they fitted new clutch, cable and clip. I thought that the clutch would see the car out, but no. This June the clutch clip snapped, so I got a different garage to replace clip . They said" all sorted you will be ok now". Two weeks ago the clip snaps again, the mechanic tells me that there is no point fitting another clip as it won"t last and replacing the clutch, cable and clip will cost in the region of £850. so scrap the car! any guidance would be greatly appreciated, its a lovely car! thanks in advance Terry.
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Re: Xantia Clutch clip

Post by admiral51 »

Do you love the car enough to say "well love, gonna get nothing for it scrap, what are we gonna get for £850 that is not going to give us aggro, cheap really for a clutch when you take into what it takes, if it lasts for another 6 years its only £0.42 a day thats nothing" :))
froggy
Donor 2023

Post by froggy »

good point.
Terry
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

froggy wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 21:32good point.
Braver than me lol

No seriously i bought a clutch kit for my C4 for less than £150 from ( yes i know but needs must ) GSF on a sale deal, had it fitted by my local indie for £300 inc vat, way more than the car is worth but it allows me to earn my yearly wage so pennies in comparison.

Shop around and see what you can bring it down to and work out if it is worth keeping, for £850 i will sell you my C4 but you would not want it :)
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Back in the day when Xantias were more common, there were several reports of the clutch pedal clip failing where the clutch had recently been replaced, sometimes apparently because an inferior plastic clip had been fitted.

I would think it worth replacing just the clip to see what happens next...

I think that there were a couple of people who fabricated metal replacements to stop the problem from recurring.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Practically any repairs would cost more than my car is worth - if I sent it to a garage, fortunately I am still able to do most things myself. The XM suffered with the same problem, the clutches got very heavy as the mileage advanced so you almost needed both feet to push the clutch out, I only had the link break once or twice but I seem to remember making up something a bit stronger eventually.

The clutch can become heavy due to lack of lubrication of the shaft that goes through the bell housing, where the cable is fitted, running some oil in from the top improved one of mine no end, you can also lubricate the cable fittings at the top end of the cable.

Peter
froggy
Donor 2023

Post by froggy »

two weeks before the clip snapped, I was driving down and around Minehead when the clutch made a worrying noise but did not break. The garage has since told me that the clutch cable is no longer available. I checked with my local citroen dealer , who said , cable no longer available. so I have sourced a cable from a motor factor and will try and get the clip from my Citroen dealer, thanks for your help. Terry.
Terry
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC