How to Check Coolant Hoses

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

How to Check Coolant Hoses

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

My 405 XUD's popped one of its Coolant Hoses today* and I'm thinking that this could be the first of several.

Is there a way to check whether others will follow suit soon, possibly at an inconvenient moment far from home?

Thanks everyone!

*the Matrix Feed, just behind the Head. High pressure fountain a few inches from the clip, so fix will be easy, with a 22mm Copper bridge. A footwell full of Coolant would be a different story if it had gone the other side of the bulkhead. Thankfully, I was only on a short Tip Run.
Puxa
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: How to Check Coolant Hoses

Post by mickthemaverick »

In my experience I rely on an initial visual inspection, checking each end of the hose for signs of splitting and tightness of the clips. Then squeeze each hose and look for signs of cracking along the sheath. Better to do that when they are warm, NOT HOT! Finally if they are rather easily squashed they could be fading away and I would replace them. Lastly run the engine till it is up to temperature and the hoses are hot, then look for any bulging along the length and change if you see any. If you are concerned about them failing when away then buy a length of each size on the car and keep in the boot for use as a get you home. I'd say thats a bit over the top but its your choice :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Re: How to Check Coolant Hoses

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Thanks Mick, that sounds like a comprehensive way of checking em.

Not sure that having a length of each Diameter of Hose in the boot would be OTT on a long run, specially as I have suitable second-hand Hoses to hand and can be over 500miles from home on occasion. Would take up zero space within the 'Spares / Tools Bag' (Supermarket Carrier Bag for Life) with the spare Injector Pump and Alternator.

Thanks Again!

NB: delighted that my organisational efforts have been rewarded with successful finding of Hose, Jubilees and 22mm Copper. Makes it all worthwhile! Fitting will be Tuesday.
Puxa