Inner rod replacement on 308 T9?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
mara-
Posts: 70
Joined: 26 Feb 2018, 19:05
x 7

Inner rod replacement on 308 T9?

Unread post by mara- »

I went today to the dealer because I have some strange behavior with the steering wheel. The say I need to replace inner and outer tie rod, and they personally showed me there is bad movement. And of course, price was 350€ which is ridiculous. I paid 12€ for diagnostic and went to the autoparts to order the rods. Of course, price is 60€ total.

Now, since I purchased the documentation on the service box, out of curiosity I opened the document to see how are the rods replaced. And I discovered that they use "rack rotation prevention tool". You can see the tool here. http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/repair-20 ... et04k3.htm

Here is the instruction for 307 for example, almost the same as mine for 308. https://www.qclt.com/html/%E6%A0%87%E8% ... eg1bk3.htm

As you can see on 206 and 307 is also recommended. Then I went to the YouTube to check it our and I didn't find any video where someone does it, they just unscrew the inner rod and place the new one.

What do you guys think about this? Could there be any problem if rack is not secured? I am not sure if other car services are aware of this or if they even have this special tool.
User avatar
GiveMeABreak
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 41989
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 6957

Re: Inner rod replacement on 308 T9?

Unread post by GiveMeABreak »

As it says, "the tool [0721-B] avoids damaging the steering mechanism when slackening-tightening the steering track rod".
Please note, I'm no longer active on the Forum, so won't respond to messages.

Marc
mara-
Posts: 70
Joined: 26 Feb 2018, 19:05
x 7

Re: Inner rod replacement on 308 T9?

Unread post by mara- »

I know, but how come nobody else is doing it? Or this requirement is only for Peugeots.
User avatar
Paul-R
Moderating Team
Posts: 9352
Joined: 07 May 2009, 16:24
x 1943

Re: Inner rod replacement on 308 T9?

Unread post by Paul-R »

People who change the rod without using the special tool are taking a chance of damaging the rack (or, more probably, the pinion). Maybe they get away with it or they use some other method to secure the rack?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson
User avatar
GiveMeABreak
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 41989
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 6957

Re: Inner rod replacement on 308 T9?

Unread post by GiveMeABreak »

... and it's the same on all PSA vehicles, not just the Peugeot marque. The DIY mechanic and some independent garages may well take chances - but at the end of the day it's your car and your risk.. The dealers have tools and do use them - so your choice really.
Please note, I'm no longer active on the Forum, so won't respond to messages.

Marc