engine management light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

goose
My Cars:

engine management light

Post by goose »

ive got a problem on my 2.0l 16v zx 1992
the engine management light keeps coming on and off
it dont stay on solid and it doesnt flash in a constant pattern
last time it did this was wen i had almost no trannsmission fluid left as all my cv boots were split. so every time i went around a corner or broke harsh it would flash. but its only been a month since they were done and i have no other leaks!!
ive been told that its either a injector or ingnition fault but it does both more to my satisfaction.
does anyone know of any other causes??
also i steamed my engine bay off today and i think its been doin it after that!! but i havent had that problem before and i do it quite often!!
does anyone know of a diagnostics centre in south wales i can go to??!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

This warning lamp is not related to a particular sensor or problem.
It's the ECU that sets off this alarm - when anything is outside limits on the running engine.
If the fault is persistent - then the ECU stores a particular code pointing to the problem area. This code can be read out, interpreted and used as a guidance for tracing the problem.
goose
My Cars:

Post by goose »

so if like mine it flashes in means naff all
or does it??
its a bit worrying
do u recon its worth getting a diagnostic if the light is not solid??
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

- you may even try read out the codes yourself [:)]
Advice is found here (for BX'es - but the same range of ECU's are used on ZX'es) :
http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/fuel/test.html
Note that this page is a sub-page under the engine management pages - lot's of goodies are found here - relly worth the time surfing round a bit [8D]
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

mine does this occasionally. I just put it down to being an old citroen and ignore it. No doubt the ecu will give up on me one day but there you are.
I think you can buy kits in halfords for £25 or so that plug into the diagnostic plug somewhere in the engine bay and may be able to tell you what the error reading is. Failing that local citroen garage will be able to do it but perhaps it will only show if the lights on at that particular time, dont know
goose
My Cars:

Post by goose »

yeah its just that it did it before then i changed the cv boots and refilled the transmission with fluid, as it was empty to start with. i thought that it could have been a warning to tell me that the level was low. but its doing it again now!! do u think that itr could have been set off with me steaming the engine off and getting water where it shudnt have gone to??
goose
My Cars:

Post by goose »

took the car for a long drive today and it didnt show so hopefully it was something to do with the steam off on saturday and has dried out now!!