Picasso 1.6HDI how to remove fuel primer loop

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Picasso Pain
My Cars: Picasso Excl 92

Picasso 1.6HDI how to remove fuel primer loop

Post by Picasso Pain »

Hi all new to the forum and have an urgent/desperate situation 🙈 any help greatly appreciated!

VIN : VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

I strongly suspect I have a leak in the diesel fuel system and/or primer bulb has failed. Here are my key initial questions/requests for help...apologies if I am too long winded!

1. The manual primer bulb never gets hard no matter how much I compress it... I was able to press fuel down the pipe(green end collar/wrong directoon?) and the bulb got firm... does that indicate the one way valve has failed? I didnt force the fuel very much just an even pressure...

2. Is it very difficult to remove the entire fuel hose assembly(incl primer bulb) and replace?
Is it part code # 1574T5? I see them available for around £37-

I started to remove it but there is one hose that seems to connect to injector#1 and it is very tight - worried to break Something!? And very little room from the top even after removing airbox to get to the connection points... if I jack up car in stands from underneath can I easily access/disconnect? Would exhaust be in the way?

If someone can kindly advise Ill then also describe the problems Ive had and test with you the potential solutions I have read on this forum...

Thanks guys!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Picasso 1.6HDI how to remove fuel primer loop

Post by GiveMeABreak »

This is for a XSARA PICASSO FAMILY SALOON 1.6 HDi 92 (DV6ATED4) Manual gearbox 5 for anyone contributing - I have to go out shortly, but it might help others.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Picasso Pain

Post by Picasso Pain »

Thanks very much G me a B! - could you please advise me is this car a C3? C4? I have no papers or service book for it...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The Xsara Picasso was a model in it's own right.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Picasso Pain

Post by Picasso Pain »

RESULT!

Noone replied to me on topic specifics but nevertheless what a great forum... so much excellent info/wisdom ..

If anyone wants to know I removed the fuel loom from the top reaching deep behind engine...tough but doable ... anyway feedback is the primer bulb one way valve had failed as suspected... small piece inside rattling around (glad it didnt head towards HP pump or worse🙈🙈) the key learning to share is that you can cut the old one out and just insert an £8 one in with two small hose clamps... saved buying the whole fuel harness from the stealers for £135!!
If anyone wants I have a video to show the fix I did...

This was a definite problem but still to re-assemble and see if it solves my main problem... will post later on the problem and (hopefully!) solution...

Other things Im busy with now include
New Air filter
Crank Sensor (CPS)
Fuel Rail sensor (is it risky to undo it? Any special tools or seals? I understand from the forum the stealers dont sell the seal/(s?) any suggestions re process and where to get parts appreciated ..?
Picasso Pain

Post by Picasso Pain »

Ah thanks Hell Razor... if anyone has any pdf of user manual or workshop manual or any other info about car Id appreciate it!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Picasso Pain

Post by Picasso Pain »

Thanks mate
Picasso Pain

Post by Picasso Pain »

QUICK UPDATE

I fixed this car for a friend so had no history with it whatsoever..

The problem was car cutting out and engine light going out on hard acceleration... slow or gradual acceleration was ok - I suspected fuel starvation or possible sensor issue/s
Code was P0087 low rail pressure
I noted primer bulb wasnt getting full - ever
No matter how much “pumping”
Problem was intermittent
Thanks to forum I learnt I didnt need to drop tank as there is no in tank pump when there is a primer bulb
As above I fixed bulb cheaply and replaced air filter... problem resolved and primer bulb primes!

Just did oil change... full synthetic 5w30.. I had noticed that terrible diesel engine “truck rattle” on pull off... miraculously its gone!! More like a purr... God bless fully synthetic oil and its robust viscosity 😉
My friends noticed a significant performance improvement ... wait till I delete the airbox adapt the MAF sensor housing and build a cold air intake .!

Next step will be to check/de-coke the EGR valve... Im also v concerned about “doggos” highly informative and worrying post I saw about caking in the EGR all the intake ports🙈🙈 but what a difference once they are cleaned out ...

Cant believe what sh*t quality the oil dipsticks are ... flimsy fibreglass that splinters your fingers and the plastic end bteaks off when fibreglass frays... I chopped it off and only used end cap as a plug for now ... anyone found a decent thin metal one or similar?
Picasso Pain

Post by Picasso Pain »

Correction “engine cutting out and engine light going ON and into safe mode”