Drop links

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Doc
My Cars:

Drop links

Post by Doc »

Not so long ago I replaced both lower ball joints on my XM due to knocking noises, scrubbed tyres and vague handling. Despite the new balljoints, the car was still making a loud knocking sound over the smallest bumps. Anyway I checked bushes, rack, anti-roll bar and engine mounts. All okay. As I had changed the drop-links less than a year ago (10,000 miles motorway driving) I didn't expect to find wear in these components. I was wrong! On both sides the drop-link lower balljoints had worn causing excess movement and therefore knocking.
I would consider this premature wear. Anyone out there had a similar experience with drop-links or is normal for an XM?
Doc
1992 2.1 XM SED Hatchback
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Can't believe this is normal [B)]
Could be caused by the fact the droplinks were strained excessively by other problems - i.e. the balljoints.
BigMac

Post by BigMac »

Doc, I had similar trouble with my estate. New links supplied by a well-known Bradford firm failed after 23 days. My own fault - I should have guessed that the first lot were not right when I had to get son #1 to hold down the anti-roll bar so that I could fit the links. They were wrong size.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

This can quite well be normal with el-cheapo pattern drop links, I've had this grieff with just such components on the xantia, I had to take one back for exchange before it had even been fitted.
Buy good quality ones from you know where but be warned that even good quality ones will die quick if they get water in, so plough some extra grease in to help keep it out, don't damage the rubber gaiter or it will be cutrains for them again pretty soon.
Dave
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

Thanks for the response. I hate to say this but I bought the droplinks from GSF in Chelmsford, Essex. I compared the parts to the originals (Citroen) and they matched in every respect. I had the tracking checked and adjusted just after I replaced the balljoints and it was out by some margin, although it was probably way out before this. I think Anders is correct that the worn balljoints may have contributed to the premature demise plus I believe the tracking problem was causing the droplinks to load up more than their design limits due to steering geometry. I certainly have no doubts about the quality of GSF parts and WILL continue to use them. Maybe it was a duff batch that left the factory?
Doc
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You may try split the old ones (hacksaw - no grinder !) to find the cause of failure.
Water ingress is clearly seen as a rusty mess inside the joint.
Over-limit straining is seen on the nylon bits - deformed where it's supposed to withstand the strain.
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

Thanks Anders, I will attempt an autopsy on the droplinks later today.
Doc