FDV for early XM's

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ZEGA
My Cars:

FDV for early XM's

Post by ZEGA »

I have replaced FDV on my xm, the old one had a problem something like hissing noise when car works and steering wheel is let alone, in drive it was mixture of hard soft steering wheel, it was a very ****y to drive...
Now i bought used one which make a hissing noise too but has no problem with steering wheel...
It is said that dirt makes FDV to make problems because of tight tolerances inside it...
I have cleaned LHM tank very good, all the filters, and put in new LHM...
On the XM-l forum in the files section there is a text about refurbishing FDV but it is on german which i don't understand...
I have translated it with a web program but it is a messy read...
Has anyone ever rebuild FDV and is there some details i should be aware?
And is there a new FDV-a available and at what cost (there is web firms that sell them but no price tag online [:(!] i really don't like that way of doing buisiness)
ZEGA
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

FDV from the online shop on this site is 82 english pounds, about 120 euros goto "Home" at the top of this page and then "Online shop". They call it a flow valve.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The rebuild kit is only a set of seals - 'O' rings and the circular wire-type retaining clips for the slider caps, new filters and the pipe seals.
I did mine, fiddly job and it didn't work afterwards. I then found that the non-original one that came off the car was incorrectly assembled with the ball bearing valve the wrong side of its support.
I had the intermittent steering problem which disappeared when I changed the pump. My problem was the warning light kept coming on while I was driving and there was obviously a lack of pressure in the hydraulics.
I have always considered the FDV to be quiet and that the noise came from the rugulator.
I seem to remember there were instructions on one of the yahoo boards with some photos as well. Be careful with the photos - this could be where I made a mistake.
If you are doing it it is probably worth re-seating the pressure relief valve (ball bearing under the adjuster screw) Tap it smartly onto its seat with a brass punch. (Don't use steel)
Jeremy
jeremy.