XUD injector pump removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

XUD injector pump removal

Post by sparksie »

Hi all

As I've mentioned before, my circumstances have changed quite a bit, so now I'm reduced to the same facilities i used to have as a teenager.
In keeping with this, I'm trying to get the Bosch injector pump off Cit, with the almost new belt in place and the engine still in the car.
I don't recommend this, but needs must, when the devil drives.
Any time I've removed these pumps before, I've pulled the pulley off and put it safely inside the car, before trying to move the pump, often with the engine out on the floor.
I had a little puller that screws into threaded holes in the pulley and pushes against the nose of the pump shaft, but this is nowhere to be found, now.
I suspect it might not fit, on the Xantia, anyway. The inner wing/chassis leg is very close.
I'm considering making a DIY version, from an offcut of 5mm plate, but without the central screw, instead using the threads in the pulley to exert the force. Has anyone else done this? I don't want to ruin the pulley.
I've bolted the pulley securely in place, using the two timing holes, removed all the pipes and cables and undone the three securing nuts, so the pulley is the last obstacle keeping the pump in the car.
I got this far before the thunderstorm broke today, forcing me back under cover, but tomorrow is expected to be better, so might get a crack at it again then, if I can get home on time.
One possible pitfall I can foresee, concerns the woodruff key. These can, and do, fall out when the pulley is removed, but I've always been able to find them on the workshop floor, or trapped in the lower timing case, if this happened.
I doubt I'll be so lucky in the long grass that passes for a floor now, but I'm hoping the designers will have been smart enough to put the key at the top, when the timing holes line up. Does anybody know?
Cheers, guys
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
moizeau
Donor 2024
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Re: XUD injector pump removal

Post by moizeau »

Leave the pulley nut on , just unscrew it a little. That way the pulley will just release from it's position on the shaft without falling off. All can be recovered easily once the puller is removed.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Slide a sheet of cardboard or similar under the car so you can spot the woodruff key when it drops.
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Hi Pete, Steve, anybody else still up...
Yes, if i was removing the pulley, both suggestions would be viable.
However, as I said, I'm leaving the pulley attached to the engine and trying to take the pump out, so everything is going to look and feel different from what I'm used to.
I plan on bolting a piece of flat iron to the pulley, straddling the center nut and tighten it down until the taper releases, but I'm not confident the threads in the pulley are strong enough for this.
They're designed for a static pull, using the right puller, but my plan will require them to withstand the same pulling force while also handling rotation.
It's 1.30am and I'm not long home, so nothing happened today, nor is it likely to, tomorrow.
Fingers crossed I can get it out, because it's way past time she returned to the road!
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
moizeau
Donor 2024
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

How did you get on? The method I mentioned was what I used for removing the pump on my 2.1. Lock the pulley using the timing bolts, undo the pump bolts, use you puller, but it actually becomes a pusher, it pops the pump off the back. Leaving the pump pulley bolt on ( but unscrewed a few turns, stops you losing the woodruff key. Remove puller (pusher) unscrew the pulley nut and remove the pump whilst catching the key.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

As promised by the met office, the heavens opened and remained so all day, so nothing got done.
Unfortunately, while my facilities have regressed to those available to me as a teenager, sadly my faculties have not and I remain an arthritic post-middle aged fat bloke, so working in the rain is no longer the walk in the park it once was!
Tomorrow looks better, so I'll try to get back in daylight and have a play with it.
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Many of these had a self extracting pulleys, I have a distant memory of removing that plate leaving belt, pulley in place, if yours lacks the self extractor then loosening the nut and tapping wedges 180 degrees, boiling water on the pulley, judicious wiggling and luck, remember to mark the pump and backplate so they go back the same, you would not believe the difference a couple of mm here can make.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

I'm in Meath and I could lend you a 2/3 leg puller if you're near and it's any use to you.
Oh buggle
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

when I had mine off a couple of years ago I just loosened the Nut and then used brute force from a Bar inserted between the Pulley and its bracket.

Probably not the 'proper' way by a long stretch, but it worked fine for me.
Puxa
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Thanks, all.
Once again, I'm not trying to get the pulley off, so levering against the pulley won't help.
The engine is in the car and the injector pump pulley is very close to the chassis leg, so I doubt whether even the correct miniature puller, made for this specific job, would actually fit. In any case, I can't find it to try it, so it's a moot point.
I'm making a crude DIY version, out of a small piece of 5mm plate, which I think will fit.
Must check the holes in the pulley and make sure they're M5.
Can't seem to get home in daylight, so not getting any Cit time
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

I’ve had the pump off Fred a few times. There’s a guide on here somewhere but I can’t find it now, with a diagram on the diy puller. You can borrow a couple of 11mm bolts from the gearbox, to fit in the pulley.
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Hi Jaf
Yes, I thought there was a step by step for this.
I don't think I'm smart enough to have come up with the idea on my own.
However, like you, I can't seem to find it.
Still have not got back in daylight, so no further progress to report, yet.
Suffering from exhaustion, so I left the tools on a boat tonight, forgetting I might get a chance to use them at home tomorrow.
Oh well!
Perhaps next weekl
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Post by oscar »

There was post yonks back on making one! but a thick piece of strap steel 6mm thick 30mm wide odd drill two holes matching ones either side of pump then as said two bolts from gearbox or get some best hi tensile undo pump shaft nut enough then turn bolts in bit at a time till pop shaft then remove undo pump nut and catching wood ruff key! best is a sheet/towel etc under car so drops but don't roll and light colour can see it easily.

Have a short modded spanner you'd be welcome to for getting at lower bolt. " was a ratchet ring that broke so welded ratchet then ground down to half thickness and cut about 2rds of rest of spanner off just thick enough to nut sits inside"
Get washer and nut clean them then glue nut to washer!!! when ready put nut in spanner offer up into slot so slots onto first part of stud as thinner with no thread! then can push back onto it so grips threads get a bit of a turn before have to drop spanner out for another turn so with nut glued to washer washer stays a round instead of going walkies while trying to get nut back on.