Bipper tepee cutting out while braking

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pinky Chelly
My Cars: Peugeot Bipper Tepee

Bipper tepee cutting out while braking

Post by Pinky Chelly »

This issue started earlier in year when it was barely freezing out. Car decided it was Minus 20° and if i was braking but still in Second gear it would flash 'stop start technology unavailable' and TURN the engine off (losing steering etc) Peugeot garage at Bromsgrove charged me for a diagnostic which revealed NOTHING. Although car had done less than 60k with fsh they didnt think They were responsible for a serious computer fault. They Guessed that maybe replacing the wing mirror with temp sensor Might solve the issue. I did so and its behaved for barely 3mnths.
I think the car has only behaved since as it was running at a temperature it was happy with.
Now it seems to dislike the heat. If over 24° when i stop at lights etc the car will sit and over rev to itself - I look like an inpatient idiot!
Now this arvo at 26° it decided as i was braking but still in second it again flashed 'stop start technology unavailable' and turned the engine off. We restarted but when i had to drop to 1st again a few hundred yards on the car cut out. I restarted but as soon as i tried to put it into gear it cut out again. The Oil light then stayed on. I let it cool for an hour and checked, oil was perfect just under max. Waited til it dropped to 22° and it agreed to start and let me change gear and we got home.
Im wary of taking it back to Peugeot as they Didn't know wtf was wrong with it in the first place and 3 other garages have all said 'it's Their computer system that's stuffed, only They can fix it'. So now i feel like im stuck with a car that only likes to operate between 10° to 20° or will Cut out and actually is rather dangerous! Damned thing is still on HP as it Should have lasted years with careful servicing.
What on earth can I do when the general consensus is its faulty programming that Peugeot can't even deal with?
Any help would be appreciated as im now terrified to drive it but it's my transport to feed horses twice daily and im disabled so need a working vehicle :'(
Last edited by myglaren on 20 Jul 2019, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thread title
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Bipper tepee cutting out while breaking

Post by wheeler »

Do you know if they checked that the engine ECU (and gearbox ECU if auto) have been updated to the latest software versions?
Pinky Chelly

Post by Pinky Chelly »

They didn't even mention it. They just scratched their heads and looked blank because their diagnostic machine didn't give them an answer.
It's a semi auto.
It cut out on me again last night as soon as I broke right down to first after driving just 2miles. Turned her over, she sat over revving herself, put her in 1st and cut out again. Sat and waited 5mins then thought id try something different. Iv always got her in 'manual' so i can tap the gears up so I thought i was worth a try to change her. So put her in auto and managed to persuade her Not to cut out while i crawled the few hundred yards up the track. Left her an hour and managed to get home without her cutting out again. But now terrified to drive her.
The way she over revs when restarted after cutting out it's like an old fashioned choke is stuck? Or like the timing is set too fast? I don't understand these tech cars and with Fibro i struggle to remember what i used to know about old engines lol
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

Post your VIN (it will be hidden to all but admin), this will give all the specs for the car and help with diagnosis.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
Pinky Chelly

Re: Bipper tepee cutting out while braking

Post by Pinky Chelly »

Wouldn't reg be enough? Why would you need VIN?
Reg is ********
Shes done under 56k and has been regularly serviced
Until last autumn she had spent almost every night in a garage.
The issues started after we were hit practically head on by a Chelsea tractor on 14th Feb. Insurance wanted proof the accident Caused the issue but Bromsgrove Peugeot couldn't even Diagnose the issue, let alone prove when it started
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 20 Jul 2019, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Reg masked
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So you have a BIPPER TEPEE (A9) FAMILY SALOON 1.3 HDI 75 STT 5-SPEED PILOTED MANUAL GEARBOX.

As you've discovered, these can be a right pain. They are a manual gearbox and clutch system, that uses hydraulic actuators to change the gears and operate the clutch. When they start playing up they can be a nightmare to repair.

There are lots of conditions that have to be met for the Stop Start function to operate, but cutting out isn't one of them and this should not happen while driving of course. I can't offer any solutions as they are a FIAT collaboration and use hybrid systems.

Until you manage to get it resolved, I suggest you deactivate the Stop Start system:
Bipper SS.PNG
Press the Button shown as 'B' in the picture and the light will come on along with a message in the dash. That will disable the syste. However, you need to do this every time you start the engine as it only works until the engine is switched off. But this may get you out of a fix.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Pinky Chelly

Post by Pinky Chelly »

I usually drive it with the stop/start Disabled and That's when it's been playing up. Despite disabling it still will randomly flash 'stop/start unavailable' as i drop down to 1st and turn everything off :/
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so you obviously have an issue then and the dealer should be able to sort it out - if not I would take it to another one as there is no excuse really. They should send a technician out with you for a test drive so they can observe the behaviour.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If it only does it when braking I would suspect wiring/connection fault due to stress as the engine moves forward.

Peter
Pinky Chelly

Post by Pinky Chelly »

This morning it was again when braking. And once started you of course Have to depress brake pedal to change from N to 1st, and every time i touched the brake it cut out. It's the same as it was when i took it to them months ago, but a Lot more severe and gone from a Bit sensitive to impossible to move in days :(
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

^ Which gives strength to Peter's diagnosis.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Also physically check around the moving parts of the brake pedal mechanism/linkage for any trapped/chafing wiring. Can you also confirm if your brake lights are working correctly when this is happening?
Pinky Chelly

Post by Pinky Chelly »

I must be honest, I don't know if brake lights were working at that point - they were when i left the house in the morning as i always check.
AA finally got it to Arbury Bromsgrove Peugeot garage and iv given them Peters theory, and another one that was suggested elsewhere (coolant leaking into ECU via ECT harness switch. Which would explain why it couldn't deal with cold temps and now acting as if over heating)
Iv told them they need to get a real mechanic to check it properly as i wont pay for their computer to plug into the car for 5mins then declare there's nothing wrong lol
Thanks for all your help and advice guys. I wont back down as I believe a diesel engine should last a Lot over 54k