Swirling sound from EGS

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Erik WG
My Cars: 2007 Citroën 1.6 HDI 110 bhp.

Swirling sound from EGS

Post by Erik WG »

Good morning everybody,

Got very good advice in this forum previously concerning my wife's 2008 Citroën C4 before purchase. The car had only the belt and wheels replaced when the timing belt service was done last year, not the water pump. Some comments recommended replacing even the water pump, so the wife made the dealer do the whole service all over again, replacing even the water pump :-D

She's got the car now, it's got 50 000 miles under the belt (80 000 km). The car has the EGS (electronic gear system) gearbox. It shifts well up and down and it kicks down the way it should. It hums at a tranquil 2000 rpm:s in 70 mph on the motorway. One thing I noticed is a swirling (don't now how to explain it, as I'm a Norwegian) sound, a mechanical sound, from the car when quickly removing the foot from the accelerator pedal after acceleration at lower speeds (20-30 km/t). The system works brilliantly though, we don't think the EGS is difficult to drive at all.

Should this be of some concern?

Anyway, the car is like a flying carpet on the motorway. Wife loves it, brilliant car.

Yours sincerely,
Erik
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Swirling sound from EGS

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Just on the other issues Erik. The timing belt operation does not include the water pump. It is optional and the service kit are available as the belt only, the belt and the tensioner rollers and pulleys, and lastly, all of the previous parts just mentioned with the water pump and gasket.

You have to ask if you want the rollers and water pump doing. They don't do the water pump much these days as they deem the water pump to be very reliable - unlike older cars - It's a matter for the customer though as it is the labour that costs on this job, so some like to get it done at the same time.

As for the EGS - yes, a basic clutch and manual gearbox, but with hydro-electrically operated clutch and gearbox actuators. Great when they work, but can be very expensive when they go wrong. Plenty of grief here on these systems - although one or two people here like them. I prefer a manual or fully automatic with torque converter, but never would buy anything with an EGS system.

As for the noise, that is likely to be the turbo spooling backwards to get rid of pressure when you take your foot of the pedal quickly. I suggest you recommend to your wife that she doesn't put the pedal to the metal too often - but if she does, then always ease off the accelerator. :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Erik WG
My Cars: 2007 Citroën 1.6 HDI 110 bhp.

Re: Swirling sound from EGS

Post by Erik WG »

Thanks for the information! Cheers!