Remove petrol

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pinheadplanet

Remove petrol

Post by pinheadplanet »

Hi.

I'm about to scrap my C5 but it's got a full tank of petrol. Anyway l can get it out easily? I tried sticking a hose pipe in the tank and sucking but nothing much happening (and probably not the smartest of ideas)

Thanks
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Remove petrol

Post by xantia_v6 »

The usual method is to use the normal pump in the tank to pump the fuel out. The trick is to find an accessible hose to run into your can. If you put the gear selector into D (I assume that it is an automatic), then turn the key to the start position, the engine won't turn over, but the fuel pump should run.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

pinheadplanet wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 17:43 Hi.

I'm about to scrap my C5 but it's got a full tank of petrol. Anyway l can get it out easily? I tried sticking a hose pipe in the tank and sucking but nothing much happening (and probably not the smartest of ideas)

Thanks

You're not wrong there!

Tell the scrap man there's a tankful and ask if he will pay a bit extra for it. They are set up under the environment regulations to gather all pollutants before crushing/breaking, usually they put a catch tank under the car and put a pick axe through the bottom of the tank.

You could do your hose trick if you know how but you might be playing with fire--literally. Alternatively you could attach an electric pump to the pipe under the bonnet and pump it into jerry cans.

Take great care petrol's nasty gassy stuff especially on hot days.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

In this weather, to be frank, try and get the scrappy to give you a bit extra or forget about it. It's not worth the risk unless.

Diesel - yes. I recently drained a full tank out of a Xsara Picasso, but I'd have not bothered for petrol.