Open-Top motoring....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Open-Top motoring....

Post by CitroJim »

I love the headlamps on the Elan - it looks like the car is blissfully asleep when they're closed, especially in white :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

You got me thinking there Jim, I (untill a quick Google now!) Have never seen the Elan headlamps up and switched on!
Spoiler: show
bit of Frog Eyed Sprite (which was supposes to have pop ups till the accountant got hold of it!
Up
Up
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

MattBLancs wrote: 17 Jul 2023, 08:01 You got me thinking there Jim, I (untill a quick Google now!) Have never seen the Elan headlamps up and switched on!
A much neglected area of automobile photography, evening/nightime shots of lights/dashboards/rear lights. The vast variety now particularly of the rear lighting led to the start of the "lights interesting and awful thread" in 2018. Page 1 post one of that features a Falcon original of a Toyota prius at night.
Lights Interesting and Awful page 1 post 1 link
viewtopic.php?p=593332#p593332
------------------------------

The Lotus Elan also comes in a range of colours, most of them yellow!
Falcon Original<br />Duns Castle<br />June 2023
Falcon Original
Duns Castle
June 2023
Falcon Original<br />Duns Castle <br />June 2023
Falcon Original
Duns Castle
June 2023
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

MattBLancs wrote: 17 Jul 2023, 08:01 You got me thinking there Jim, I (untill a quick Google now!) Have never seen the Elan headlamps up and switched on!
Nor me Matt... And I was surprised to see they're round. I always assumed they were square...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

This looks nice, the video has it looking yellow at times but I think its more beige-ey (...I see now from the blurb that it's actually called corn yellow. No start up or decent walk round for the armchair buyer, you would have to go round and metaphorically kick the tyres if you wanted to bid.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's lovely - especially in yellow :D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Not surprising the top was up today, torrential drizzle
Standout cheery colour from this SAAB on a dull day.
Falcon Original<br />A rainy afternoon at Screwfix.
Falcon Original
A rainy afternoon at Screwfix.
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Looks like my daughter's, we called it the bananamobile.
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

car440.jpg
this has to be one of the best and most iconic open tops ever!! Come in Bandit....
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Here's one I used to service for the local pub landlord, I was adopted by the cat, she dumped her five new born kittens in my airing cupboard when I left the door open.
Attachments
Cat Morgan.jpg
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 19:35 Here's one I used to service for the local pub landlord, I was adopted by the cat, she dumped her five new born kittens in my airing cupboard when I left the door open.
Magic :-D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

August
A Rainy Day at Screwfix
Closed toppage

September
A sunny day at Morrisons
Open toppage
Falcon Original
Falcon Original
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Lovely in yellow :D
Jim

ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

Just made it back before the rain.
Just made it back before the rain.
Well just made back to work before rain came, nowt like a bit of wind in ur hair going into work but it is surprising how many idiots you come up behind squirt their washers as they are silly enough to think you are getting wet, AERODYNAMICS... the only time I get wet in the rain is lower the 10mph, above that it blows over the top, so they are just wasting washer water :rofl2:
I don't understand those who don't take roof off when it is fine weather, its a push of a button, takes around 20 seconds from closed to open top, not like the old MGB roadsters were you had to fight with press stud buttons to fasten the roof down and breaking usually thumb nails in the process trying to get them popped down.

Can see why this model was not so popular
Can see why this model was not so popular
There are not many Mk3's around not even in Europe, tons of Mk2's over here still and in Europe I have seen very few Mk3's and I do wonder if this boot has not helped the cause, the Mk2 lifted back up if I remeber rightly to just under the rear screen (been 5 years since I had a Mk2) so you could with the roof up have a cavernous boot along with a section were the spare wheel was suppose to be the boot floor dropped so you still had a lot of room under the roof blind, NOW this silly plastic parcel shelf cuts the boot in half roof on? we can only put two trolley dollies in the back now were as the MK2 had two large cases and both trolley dollies so you have lost a massive amount of room in that boot, also gone is the dropped section the boot mat is now flat, so it can be rather annoying when you want to carry larger things. child's push chair, forget it.
Having said that why you would want a child's push chair in it I don't know :-s , SUV's and people carries are for children, roof off is for FUN! Shades on, Sinatra on the wireless and the hope you will make it to work before the heavens open.
I didn't make it home the other night, the rain was torrential but I carried on not looking so cool (duel carriageway) with my shades on, Buddy Holly banging on the wireless about raining in my heart on wireless, Yeah thanks Buddy I get it, the only time I got a bit moist was on the slip road and outside the house putting roof on, not bad really 1st time this year. Lots of friendly people mind you all tooting at me how nice is that, couldn't see what they were mouthing probably telling me its raining or something helpful along those lines, shades n rain don't go very well together driving a bit like Steve Wonder.
Just Remember;Where ever you go, There you are !
NewcastleFalcon

The top couldn't be more closed, or the car more stationary, but I'm sure the roof when called on with the minimum of effort from the driver will do its appropriate acrobatics, and hey presto open-top motoring 2023 style can commence.
Falcon Original
Falcon Original
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey