ZX Avantage Central unLocking - A mind of its own!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

ZX Avantage Central unLocking - A mind of its own!

Post by martyhopkirk »

My 1993 ZX Avantage 1.9 D (127k miles) has developed a rather starnge and erratic problem.
The central locking has a mind of its own.
The plip long long ago failed and died, and so was binned, so for about 60k its been used solely on the keys. Recently the central locking will either not operate at all, open some (not all) of the doors, unlock the car but not lock it (or vice versa) and in extreem circumstances sit there merrily locking and unlocking itself for 2 or 3 minutes. I regulaly return to find all doors and boot unlocked (after i myself have locked them).
I have replaced the door solenoids (bugger of a job) with second hand units and its still doing it, i have disconnected the roof sensor (and its still doing it).
Any ideas? Before i pull the CL fuse and bin it???
Brian Oblivion
My Cars:

Post by Brian Oblivion »

Hmmmm, I've only had my ZX for a short while but when cresting or bottoming out I can hear the central locking clicking on and off. I wonder if a connection or relay is being dynamically activated? Perhaps if you give the car a drive over rough ground or a bounce around with the help of "merry" friends you could either solve the problem or get it to start its unlocking routine.
The other thing that springs to mind is my old 306 used to do the same and was fixed on an ongoing basis when i went round and opened and closed each door and the hatch. One door or the hatch wasn't closing properly on operating the driver's door lock.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

mine likes to lock itself a few times when cold! Oh well, its French!