SOS button red light?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jetjockey
My Cars: Citroen C5

SOS button red light?

Post by Jetjockey »

Hello all. :)

Recently purchased a 2008 C5 Exclusive tourer. Got a red LED illuminated above the SOS button on the Navidrive control panel. Also, the display blanked once and the system seemed to reboot when the LED illuminated.

Can anybody tell me what this means/indicates?

Many thanks. :-D
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: SOS button red light?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There are 2 buttons, and SOS and a Citroen button with the chevrons displayed.

The SOS button is for an emergency call. It will dial the emergency number 112 either directly or via a Citroen call centre. The chevrons button is for contacting Citroen services (like breakdown or for other information and services).

These rely on there being a SIM card installed it the SIM card socket in the glove box. It must have credit on to work.

I suspect if there is no SIM card installed, then the SOS LED will illuminate red as a warning.

The restarting issue will be unrelated.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Jetjockey

Post by Jetjockey »

Hello and thanks Mark.

I think your correct. There was a new SIM card present but I hadn’t activated it. The previous owner removed the original SIM card which I assume was his. What threw me was that I was led to believe that the car had its own SIM card dedicated to the SOS function. I was also led to believe that this SIM card was fitted at the factory?
Am I incorrect?

Thank you.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi,

Ok, so just to clarify my earlier post - there is no SIM required for an 'Emergency SOS' call. That is handled by the Services Module.

A SIM card is required by the owner to use the Citroen 'Services' button for breakdown etc. I would recommend you get a 2G, but if cannot get one of these, use as basic SIM as possible without any bells and whistles. I have used a Vodafone SIM and they are fine.

The Service Module's function is to act as a:
  • Telephone
  • Emergency call
  • Network service call
This function is used to reduce the time taken by the assistance services to reach the vehicle in the event of a problem or an accident.
The vehicle communicates its geographical position and other information to a service provider which serves as an interface for alerting the breakdown assistance and/or emergency services.

The emergency call is made in one of the following ways:
Manually using with the "SOS" button (Press for more than 2 seconds)
Automatically when the airbags are triggered

The NG4 Navidrive 3D system works in conjunction with the Services Module. You can switch between using the internal phone or your bluetooth phone (if you have one). The emergency system uses the internal phone only and can switch automatically in an emergency back to the internal phone.
X7 SOS.PNG
ElementAction on the ButtonDesignation
"n"One press of more than 2 secondsAssistance call (A voice message confirms that the call has been made)
One pressCancel the call (A voice message confirms cancellation)
"p"One press of more than 2 secondsEmergency call (The flashing of the green diode plus a voice message confirm that the call has been made))
1 GuideCancel the call (confirmed by the green diode going off)
Normally the little orange light on the SOS button only illuminates during startup (as it awaits information from the Services Module regarding the Airbag Triggering Status). Try fitting an active SIM (engine off first) and then see if that solves it.

Marc
Jetjockey

Post by Jetjockey »

Hello Mark.

I’ve just re read your last but one post and you say the SIM card for SOS and Services is in a slot in the GLOVE BOX? Urrrm, the only SIM card slot I’ve seen is in the front of the Navidrive unit. Am I missing something?

BTW, I have the older Navidrive unit, not the one in your post above.

Thanks.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so I thought you had a NaviDrive 3D System (NG4)! Sounds like you don’t in that case, but probably have the RT4 system? Pop up your VIN so I know exactly what you do have and I can help you further. I should of asked for it earlier, but assumed wrongly when you mentioned NaviDrive.

Marc
Jetik
My Cars: CITROEN C5 X7, 2.0 HDi exclusive

Post by Jetik »

Hi guys,
My C5 X7 exclusive (2009) used to have RT4 installed, but as new maps were not released after 2017, I decided to replace RT4 by RT6. However, RT6 does not have SOS and chevron buttons and so I lost both of services they used to be incorporated directly in RT4. Is there any chance to get them back in my car? I have noticed that C5 X7 cars with originally installed RT6 have on right side of central panel those two buttons (chevron in the
middle and red SOS underneath as on the picture sent by GiveMeBreak on 17 June 2017, 11:43 above). I know that in C5 X7 with originally installed RT6 service call (chevron button) and SOS call are managed by ITU (Independent Telematic Unit) and my car is most probably not equipped with ITU, but what everything should be done to bring minimally SOS button functionality back into my car?
Thanks a lot for any advice.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It's not really that simple.

The System was referring to in my diagram is the NG4 (Navidrive 3D) double DIN system. This has bluetooth built in and also an internal telephone via SIM card located in the glovebox. So both phones can be used as required. In addition, my vehicle and most with the NG4 have a 'Services Module' which is a hidden device behind the dashboard which works with the NG4 and handles emergency service calls and service calls to Citroen (hence the 2 buttons). It also does the emergency calling and provides the geolocation info to the emergency services if the airbags are triggered in a severe impact.

The system with your old RT4 was similar, although the SIM card was located on the front of the unit.

The RT6 does not do this and has no functionality to do this. So in the case of the RT6, vehicles are fitted with an independent telematic unit in order to provide this functionality and the pre-requisite wiring that would connect to the other systems.

So in your case as you had an RT4 without the need for an independent telematic unit, there would of been none fitted. So simply you have lost this functionality.

Marc
Jetik

Post by Jetik »

Thanks for quick reply,

I had a good suspicion that no upgrade as that is possible. I just asked as I saw many second hand ITUs originally installed in C5 X7 where the seller wrote that the unit fits in C5 X7 2008 - xxxx. My car was produced in 2009 as the last model with RT4 (without Bluetooth) and so I have got a sense that even my car could have ITU installed and somehow communicating with RT4.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I doubt it because the RT4 handles the emergency calling completely within the same unit as it has the SIM built in. It also has the direct wiring connection to the Airbag ECU for the emergency call activation in a crash. Now that you have replaced it, you have lost that functionality as the ITUs have different wiring to and from the other systems.

Marc
Jetik

Post by Jetik »

Hi Guis,
Just 3 questions.
GiveMeBreak wrote, that his vehicle is equipped with NG4 and has a 'Services Module' which is a hidden device behind the dashboard working with the NG4 and handling emergency service calls and service calls to Citroen (hence the 2 buttons). That "Services Module" does the emergency calling and provides the geolocation info to the emergency services if the airbags are triggered in a severe impact.
But the same configuration has C5 X7 equipped with RT6 and ITU (plus two buttons underneath lock door button on front central console right of RT6).
So now:
question 1: Does Services Module mean Independent Telematic Unit (in case of C5 X7 part number 6579RX, 9674767780)?
question 2: If yes, has the ITU slot for sim card or connects the call via Bluetooth to my smartphone (connection managed by RT6)?
question 3: Could you provide me with wiring schema showing how are those three buttons (door lock, chevron and SOS) in the right of RT6 connected to other computers?
I am interested in having SOS function working again as I really see it as excellent safety tool (in spite of some who consider ITU as a tool to spy him or even to manipulate with his car).
Thanks for any help or assistance.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Best thing is to put your VIN up so I can see if your vehicle had the ITU fitted as some of these did and linked with the RT4. - This was a time when they were changing over systems on the early X7s.

Marc
Jetik

Post by Jetik »

Here you are: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so confirmed your vehicle with original RT4 did not have any ITU fitted as I thought. Emergency calling was handled by the RT4 directly.

Your wiring connections will be different for the RT6 as they were for the RT4. For example on the Part B Block of the Quad Lock connector below, Pin 2 is the negative speaker output for emergency calling and pin 8 is the positive speaker output for emergency calling, These are not on the RT6.
part B rt4.PNG
The wiring harness is completely different.

In answer to your question 2): No the emergency call is not bluetooth operated as if your phone is missing or not connected it would be pretty much useless. That's why a service module or ITU is used. In the case of the RT6 the SIM card is located inside the module and fixed behind the dash as it is only used for the emergency and service calls independent of the RT6.

Wiring diagrams are specific to the vehicle and the options and build date, as you don't have the RT6 originally the diagram won't apply as the wiring harness is different to what you have. To make matters more complicated you have the equaliser amp, which means additional connections.

Marc
Jetik

Post by Jetik »

Hi Marc,
Understood. But if RT4 has separate speaker for emergency call, then a car with ITU and RT6 has to have such speaker as well and that should be connected to ITU. Then if RT4 has emergency call and service call procedure integrated in itself, configuration with ITU and RT6 has to have buttons (chevron and SOS) connected directly to ITU, as well as if the signal from airbags (if triggered in severe impact) is linked to RT4, in case of configuration with RT6 should go to ITU. Or I am completely wrong, and all (buttons and signals from safety belts and airbags) is liked via BSI and controlled via software of BSI upon particular version?