306 HDi 2.0 Not Starting - Low Fuel Pressure in common rail

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

petesk8
New User
My Cars: peugeot 306 2.0 Hdi Meridian
Nissan Primera

306 HDi 2.0 Not Starting - Low Fuel Pressure in common rail

Post by petesk8 »

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum so I hope I am doing it correctly. Also I am very new to the workings of the 306 so please bear with me if I and when I make mistakes.

My 2002 306 2.0 HDI refuses to start and I am wondering if any of the experienced member here can help me , or anybody else who has the same problems.

It was working happily one day , the next nothing. After a few basic checks, forum reads and a lot of swearing I decided I needed a proper diagnostics device.

I hooked it up to the PP2000* (see footer) on my laptop and poked around a bit and now I think I am suffering from low pressure on the common rail.

Using the live data the fuel pressure from the high pressure pump is ~55 bar. As mentioned elsewhere on this forum the ECU doesn't activate the injectors until the pressure is 110+ bar.

A far as I know this could be due to 4 or 5 things.

1. Dodgy High Pressure pump. When these things go wrong do they suddenly give up or what?

2. Dodgy Fuel Pressure Regulator on the HP pump.

Using PP2000 I did an actuator test on this and I hear a click from the solenoid near the ECU but on the pump (where the FPR live) , no click.

I had my Lad cycle the test while I listened to the regulator through a screwdriver handle (for those who don't know press screwdriver tip to FPR body , place ear on handle
and listen - transmits the sound much better). I could hear a faint 'whir ???' but no click as I would expect from what is essentially a solenoid ? - more info required here.

(When cranking the Diesel pressure regulator OCR - was up to 40% - is the regulator a solenoid off/on , or some kind of variable opening device )

3. Dodgy Fuel Pressure Sensor on the common rail feeding incorrect information to the ECU.
I am Certainly getting a reading using the P2K. I suppose if contacts are dirty a high resistance might give a false reading? I cleaned the contacts but no change.

4. Not enough fuel getting to the HP pump.
Low pressure? Check filter etc.
I am definitely getting fuel to HP pump. Surely if so I should see at least a splutter?

5. Leakage back from one or more injectors affecting rail pressure.
No Idea about this. Any thoughts?

Anything else?

I have no faults show up on PP2000 that are relevant that I know of.

Using the live data it appears I am getting a cranking speed of ~190 RPM. Is this normal? The engine cranking speed sounds normal.

One or two other readings:-

ECU is RHY BOSCH EDC15C2 ( at least this is what the diagnostics thinks , Incidentally Software would not read if the 306 is selected but will rad 306R for those familiar with the P2K
model selections)

Battery voltage 12.5 (down to 9,7 when cranking)

supply voltage to sensors ~5.01v
injector voltage 0v - (69.9v when cranking )
Diesel pressure regulator OCR - upto 40% when cranking

--

*For other newbies PP2000 is the Peugeot Planet 2000 diagnostic software and hardware interface for Peugeots (and Citreons - Lexia3) . You can get these on ebay and the like for around £40 and they should give you way more usable information than the generic OnBoardDiagnostic (OBD2) readers. Research a bit on this forum first as they can be a bugger to install and use on your laptop if not done properly. I had problems on Win7 (in xp sp3 mode) using PP2K , wouldn't work but diagBox no problem. On XP sp3 machine no problems.

Thanks for looking....
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: 306 HDi 2.0 Not Starting - Low Fuel Pressure in common rail

Post by GiveMeABreak »

As far as the software is related, you need to understand the correct variation of your model for PP2000 to recognise it. Your 306 is the revised model, which has different ECUs, and therefore your RPO Number was later and therefore not compatible with the earlier version of 306 you selected.

Therefore each 306 will be one version or another and each individual will therefore need to select the correct model revision before it will talk to the ECUs.

There is a diagnostics section on the forum - post there if you have any queries.

Pop up your VIN along with any and all fault codes so I can see exactly what you have.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If it's got Bosch injection, then it will have an in tank pump - failure of this is very common resulting in a no-run / start situation. You should be able to hear it run for about 10s at key on - if not, then try getting someone to bash the bottom of the fuel tank whilst the engine is being cranked. This can sometimes jolt it back into action and allow it to start. It will of course need replacement....!
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

+ 1 for the in tank pump. I have had problems with the pressure regulator on the back of the HP pump, never had a pump fail though, I have one here somewhere. The regulator is quite easy to remove, two philips or torx screws and a connector, you may have to remove the fuel filter though. You can pick the regulators up pretty cheaply on ebay, I got a used one which was fine.

Peter