Colourtune

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

moizeau
Donor 2020

Colourtune

Unread post by moizeau »

Having not had a petrol engine for a while (lawnmowers aside :-D ) and now being the owner of an 1980 z1000 in need of care, I wondered what everyone's thoughts are regarding the Gunsen Colourtune? I have a set of mercury gauges for the carbs (yes, originals with real mercury) and thought the Coloutune kit would be the perfect companion. The youtube clips / various blurb on the net looks good and they have been around for donkey's.
What are your thoughts people?
Cheers

bobins
Donor 2020

Re: Colourtune

Unread post by bobins »

I last used one when I were a lad and it was all fields 'round here :lol: Absolutely no problem with it and it had mildly consistent results. Still couldn't resist doing some very minor fiddling once I'd set the carb up though - after all, I was young and knew better than a Colourtune :wink:

moizeau
Donor 2020

Unread post by moizeau »

So that would be a '+' then. When I worked at Norton 'off test bed set ups' were done by removing one plug, raising the tickover so that it would (tickover) on one cylinder, then adjust the mixture to the highest revs, then repeat for the other cylinder. I say cylinder, actually rotor, but that was a twin, I don't fancy that with a four.
Cheers Bobins
We all knew everything when we were younger, it's amazing how much we've forgot!!

Sloppysod
Donor 2019

Unread post by Sloppysod »

You brought back memories for me too. I used on yonks ago on both bikes cars, the ones we now thinks of as classics. I thought the results were good, definitely better than adjusting the air screw to maximum revs on tick over then back half a turn which was the other method of the time. I remember then you would go for a spin whip a sparkplug out and check it against the colour pictures in the Haynes manual.... Those were the days😯👴

moizeau
Donor 2020

Unread post by moizeau »

Yep, those were the days, burnt fingers and all.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Unread post by myglaren »

I had one for about 25 years. Only tried it once to see what it was all about. Gave it away last year.