ISA

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

ISA

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Just watching BBC Parliament and there is a lady MP pressing the government to legislate for this soon.

Apparently it's been trialled on London buses by TFL with a 97% success rate.

http://www.brake.org.uk/what-s-happeni ... stance-isa
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Re: ISA

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The Great Debate No 35 covered a bit of that stemming from the European Directives. Compulsory Black Boxes as well as smart speed limiters coming to all new vehicles from 2022.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62195&hilit=debate#p604184

Regards Neil

PS pop over to the classics thread and see if anything captures your interest at Mathewsons Auction Gibbo! :-D The last list I put up left you cold!
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 23 May 2019, 18:03 The Great Debate No 35 covered a bit of that stemming from the European Directives. Compulsory Black Boxes as well as smart speed limiters coming to all new vehicles from 2022.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62195&hilit=debate#p604184

Regards Neil

PS pop over to the classics thread and see if anything captures your interest at Mathewsons Auction Gibbo! :-D The last list I put up left you cold!

Saw that earlier Neil, still nothing to interest me although the vintage Rolls shooting break is worth another look. :)

On the ISA subject that was today on the Parliament channel, you know, the boring stuff nobody watches. It was an adjournment debate and there were only half a dozen members in the chamber.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

The EU Parliament only recently approved the proposal to make all cars 'smart limited' from 2022. Still needs to go through Council of Ministers and the Commission. Whether we are in or out, it seems likely that we will have parallel legislation on things like that.

I do wonder though, if we take driver control away do we take responsibility away? Imagine for a moment a driver careers into a bus stop full of people in the pouring rain. "But, your honour, I was travelling at 50 using the automatic safe speed limiter. Its not my fault that was too fast, its the fault of whoever set the limits ......". And what about reliability? There are times when the fairly hopeless built in sat nav on my C4 Picasso says "can't find any satellites" - occasionally it will show me in a field well off the road I am driving along, and sometimes at amusing altitudes. No worries, I always engage brain and try to avoid driving off cliffs, turning onto railway lines at level crossings etc. But if the system controls the car, with or without override, it strikes me that to work the in car system needs always, 100% reliable, to know exactly where you are and what the current limit is for that precise point. Can that be delivered?

A side benefit for flat twin owners. A late model Dyane is capable of 72 mph: it will be faster than any fancy pants Porsche or BMW sold after the implementation date. Sweep on you fat and greasy citizens.

A marketing opportunity - driving shoes with haptic feedback suppression soles. (bit like noise cancelling headphone technology). Marketing slogan: "be a pain, don't feel the pain".
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If a vehicle HAS to see the GPS satellites before it will allow you to turn on the engine can you imagine what will happen when an ambulance with a critical patient on board won't start because the GPS system cannot connect to the satellites? Don't suggest this cannot happen because somebody will see what a danger this could be; all you have to do is look at Boeing and the 737 MAX 8 aeroplanes. Those crashes appear to be down to a 'safety' system that was badly implemented.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

My understanding is that the system - or an early version of it - is already up and running in many new cars. The idea is that it'll warn you when you're exceeding the speed limit and/or you have to make a conscious and positive effort to override the speed limiting function. They will let you exceed the speed limit, but the 'black box' element of the technology will be able to prove that you were aware of the limit but chose to exceed it. If the public stuck (more or less) to the speed limits, then they wouldn't need to invent the technology :roll:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Our 2017 C3 has a speed limit recognition system, it simply puts a message on the dashboard with the current speed limit, or --- if it can't see one. Later ones have a link between that and the speed limiter so it can set it for you. It uses a camera hidden behind the rear view mirror.

It fails in many ways. First it forgets, if you go a few hundred yards with no recognizable repeater sign it reverts to --- even if you are still in the limit. Second, it misses things, as any camera based device will especially as local councils give very low priority to keeping signs clean and clear of trees etc. I'm often surprised how good it is but its nowhere near 100%, and such a device that isn't 100% cannot be trusted. Thankfully it isn't hard wired into anything - yet.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My TomTom sat-nav gave a 'boing' every time the speed limit changed whilst I was using it in the USA, I don't know if it does the same here, haven't needed to use it.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I can, on CoPilot, set the threshold for the overspeed warnings. The minimum (other than off) is 5MPH, which is what I have selected.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I use the Waze satnav app on my phone, it seems to pretty accurately display the current speed limits in force as well as simultaneously displaying my current speed.
A couple of years ago a mate of mine used the 'remember' function on a tractor he was driving to plot the route along some country lanes around here. Next time he drove that route he got the tractor to do all the driving for him. He said it was a bit unnerving :shock:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I have a Snooper 4 Zero Bluetooth. Not only does it actively detect radar and laser traps, but also has built in GPS to warn of camera vans and speed traps in the UK and Europe. Being GPS-based, it also has a speed limit option to compare road speed limits with your actual speed and optionally verbally warns you of the speed limit.

It has been one of the best gadgets I have bought, as doesn't therefore have to rely on bugs, trees and graffiti blocking speed cameras used by cameras on other vehicles.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc