1999 Xantia HDi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

John F
My Cars:

1999 Xantia HDi

Post by John F »

I recently changed the front suspension spheres without too much trouble after thumping them with a very large copper hammer and a proper sphere wrench and wanted to do the same to the rears. Unfortunately was very daunted by what I saw because I could envisage the sphere tuning the block into which it screws. I would greatly appreciate step by step advice to carry out this work.
[:D]
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I believe the trick with the rear ones is to JUST loosen them with the units under full pressure i.e. at full height. No more than 1/8th turn, otherwise you get a LHM shower just before getting crushed...
Nodoubt someone who has actually done this will confirm (I cheated...and got someone else to experience the LHM shower)
myheadhurts
My Cars:

Post by myheadhurts »

Hi John
I did mine a couple of weeks back and thanks to this forum it wasn't to difficult , having said that i did have the advantage of a pit to work in.as you've probably read raise the suspension to max height and use whatever means to loosen the rear spheres ( i used the tried and tested hammer and chisel method ) once you've cracked them drop the suspension to low and slacken the bleed screw on the accumulator let the engine run for a couple of mins then turn off and remove the old spheres.I still got a shower anyway as one was ruptured , but you havn't lived until you've been covered in lhm[:o)]
John F
My Cars:

Post by John F »

Thanks Guys I will follow your method, Will this LHM shower ruin my perm or shall I wear a shower cap?
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »