A cautionary tale

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

conbhaill
My Cars:

A cautionary tale

Post by conbhaill »

Replaced Xantia 1.9 TD clutch in 82 distinct steps (without disturbing the Hydraulic system too much a la Haynes). Without the aid of a hoist it took four days. Total costs: £88 for clutch kit, £13.40 for drive shaft seals, £3.40 LHM (not needed) and £7.40 for Transmission oil 3litres but only required 2 litres (1.9 litres according to Haynes).
Clutch worked perfectly, decided to drive to village to test all gears, after two miles something dark and black reared up and whacked the windscreen good and proper.
Yes, I hadn’t secured the hood! Not insured for windscreen so £151 from RAC to replace. Still I saved quite a bit, as the quotes I had were running well over £500 for a replacement.
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Crikey, that could have been really nasty. One of my worst nightmares I have to say! How fast were you going at the time?
I've been thinking about doing the clutch myself on my BX TD, but after getting a quote of £180, all in...Is it worth the hassle?
The same place did my Xantia when the clip broke, and charged me £220 which included new clip, cable and clutch replacement, all covered by a 20,000 mile warranty.
I must say they did a fantastic job...Couldn't fault it, and I'm a real picky [}:)]
conbhaill
My Cars:

Post by conbhaill »

Just over 40 mph, but I know the road well so I didn't panic, braked as smoothly as possible then hit the hazard light button. Windscreen looks like it was visited by the mother of all spiders! Slept like a log, fitted a good strong safety cord this morning so it wont go all the way ovwer again.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

The down side of a metal bonnet and the upside of a fibre one. The least bit gets under the fibre one and you soon know about it, wobbles all over the show!
Just remember the next time you change the clutch/box it will take half the time!
nikobix
My Cars:

Post by nikobix »

I had that happen to me at 70mph. Riped the bulkhead out but not enough for me to see. All i could see was the 16 wheeler behind which as I went of the road took of the wing mirror. (He did'nt stop) I then carried on and said hi to a rather thick tree. Lucly I was not hurt, but its a good way to distroy an Astra.