XZ TD Will not start- Preheater problem ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

smallholder
My Cars:

XZ TD Will not start- Preheater problem ?

Post by smallholder »

My ZX TD started this morning with great difficulty as if none of the glow plugs were working. However, these were replaced approx 6 weeks ago. The preheater light did not stay on for very long (approx 1or 2 seconds)compared to normal of 5 to 10. Any tests that I can do before swapping the preheater unit.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Has your glow time been reduce consitently since the change of glowplugs? If so I would suspect that the wrong plugs (e.g. rapid heat) have been fitted.
Try repeatedly re-glowing before starting and see if that helps.
If not, you may have suffered the same fault as i had on my XM TD12 - one of the push-on spade connectors (the one that goes to the glow plugs) had broken off the preheater relay box. It was quite simple to solder a new one in place.
//NiSk
smallholder
My Cars:

Post by smallholder »

The glow time has stayed at the same level and the ZX has started well up to this morning. I am hoping I can get home this evening!!
smallholder
My Cars:

Post by smallholder »

The preheater is hardly coming on at all now - -less than .5 seconds. It won't start and I am waiting for the rescue services!!
andy hannett
My Cars:

Post by andy hannett »

Are you getting fuel into the injectors. Had similar problem but wouls start eventually turned out to be a hole in the squeezy fuel system primer causing air lock in fuel line.
try turning the car over with the nut to one of the injectors loosened. if fuel squirts out almost instantly then it is not the fuel system.
could also be the wrong type of glow plugs, TD ones have a different rating though can't understand why and this can cause preheat light to go out when plugs are not up to temp.
good luck
Andy
smallholder
My Cars:

Post by smallholder »

I admitted defeat, and passed it onto an auto electrician and it appeared that it was a poor connection behind the dashboard.
Anyway, thanks for the help.