towing with xm auto

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bobken
My Cars:

towing with xm auto

Post by bobken »

I have a 2l xm turbo ct auto and would like to tow a caravan. Is it OK as it is or do I need to fit the auto box transmission fluid cooler. If so is it a job for a Cit garage.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Recommanded for towing caravans with autobox.
You may need a double cooling fan setup too - if single fan fitted.
bobken
My Cars:

Post by bobken »

Thank you AndersDK there is 2 fans fitted so i will now look for oil cooler
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

Bobken,
How old is the autobox, and how heavy is the caravan?
rg
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Guys,
is this freezing, shivering icy cold UK [:o)] If so as long as the car is in good mechancial condition I suggest performing the following:
--hook the caravan up, and check it's lights
--leave for a holiday [:D]
A little caravan should be no problem for an XM !! If you were towing in 40+degree aussie summer heat through traffic I'd be more concerned about the cooling system and an auto cooler. I'm sure it'll already have an ATF cooler [:)]
seeya,
Shane L.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Shane [:)]
Going over (arr under) the Channel to Europe for holiday with a caravan - can in fact be a scaring experience already in Southern Germany at summertime [;)]
If not - then reaching South of France, Spain or Italy will definately tell if the car has even the smallest weakness.
I believe in South Germany they have a (very) long uphill highway reaching the mountains - called the "hill of danes" - as most often exactly here the danish tourists in own cars find out why they SHOULD have done a major service to the car - before leaving home ..... [B)]
Another "interesting" event on Europeen highways - are the frequent holiday traffic queues (stops) on the highways - simply 10's of miles with cars bumper to bumper in 2 or 3 lanes - heading south at snail's move.
bobken
My Cars:

Post by bobken »

In reply to RG the car is 1998 and the mileage is 39000(warranted) I just sold my 1991 xm estate which towed the van ok but it was manual The caravan is 980 kg laden
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hmm,
only 39,000miles... Gee's it's barely run in :) If it's well maintained I still think you should just hook up and go [:D]
Anders is correct though, I don't know the local conditions, however a caravan of only 970kgs should be towed effortlessly by it !! It is only 2litres, however it's also a CT turbo, so you should have the grunt to tow it (most standard cars out here have at LEAST a 3.8litre V6 [:0]).
seeya,
Shane L.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

My brother thought he could get away with it in his 2.0 (non turbo) and small (2 berth) caravan. Unfortunately the gearbox didn't make it to the campsite 40 miles away.
My advice, (as ever in these situations) is to get a tent. In fact, with an XM estate who needs anything else, just kip in the back.
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

bobken,
The relativly low mileage and light caravan should be fine, although I would recommend an ATF change or at least a check on the condition (colour). It is well-known that some main dealers simply top up the ATF without changing, meaning that most 'boxes don't make it past 100K. Kenlow make ATF coolers. I would recommend one.
Anders DK is spot-on as usual. Towing a caravan is an unnatural act betwwen two non-consenting vehiles, and, as such, places great strain on everything. I tow 1650kgs of twin-axle caravan with a 4x4. (No,I don't live in a lay-by.)
HTH
rg